Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any records of which RAF personnel travelled from UK to Canada in April 42

Thanks

Default Are there any records of which RAF personnel travelled from UK to Canada in April 42

My Dad, RAF Corporal Leslie Eric Lane service # 547108, was posted to Canada to serve in the BATP. He sailed aboard the SS Batory from Gourock on 8th April 1942 and arrived Halifax 16th April 1942. Later in April 1944 he was posted back to the UK.

Is there any written record such as movement orders, passenger list etc. that would show him and fellow passengers names.? If so where might I obtain copies of them?

Cheers,
    Gary

Thanks

You can try searching on Ancestry.com I have had some luck with their embarkation / disembarkation lists. However this was only for pre-war. didnt have much luck for wartime embarkation lists beyond 1942... but you can still try.

Thanks

Thanks Jagan -- I did have a look at Ancestry and other sites but while I can find lists for wartime civilian passengers I have found none for UK military passengers.

I am making an assumption that the RAF would have complied a passenger list for it's personnel that traveled aboard ships - how else would they have known who the casualties were in the event of a sinking?

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks

Reviving this thread in hopes some new information might have become available.

I am trying to find out if the RAF kept "Passenger Lists" of their service personnel that were transported on ships to overseas postings during WW2.

Any help will be most appreciated,

Cheers, Gary

Thanks

Hi Gary,
    I found a list of Aussies to train as pilots that arrived in New York in June 1941 (pre the USA entry into WWII) they then had a couple of days in New York before going to Canada. That was on Ancestry.
    Not much help I feel.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hi Gary,

I rechecked my records it was June 1942 they arrived in New York but being from Australia was the reason for the passenger list but as your dad was English and going to a Commonwealth country ( Canada ) a list was not needed?

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Thank you John for your reply.

I would have thought that there must have been a list of all RAF personnel onboard any ship traveling during wartime.

Surely those lists must have been filed somewhere. Would they still be available? If so where?

Thanks

Are there no records for the ship?
    Have you investigated RAF Embarkation Units? According to Discovery, No 85 Embarkation Unit covered Glasgow/Gourock from 1944 AIR29/18/4 but it seems there was another/parallel organisation RAF Embarkation Office Glasgow AIR29/4/2 from 1940. I have no experience of these files. I can't get an Embarkation Unit for Halifax in Discovery.
    Steve

Thanks

POR's contain what you are looking for as far as RCAF aircrew. Not sure if the RAF ones survived or where to look for them.
    Richard

Thanks

Default RAF Personnel travlling from UK to Canada 1941-1944

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.K View Post
    POR's contain what you are looking for as far as RCAF aircrew. Not sure if the RAF ones survived or where to look for them.
    Richard
    Hi, I too am looking for the personnel records from UK to Canada for BCATP for personnel to no.31 B&GS Camp Picton, Ontario. I understand that alot of information is in the KEW, not sure what that is in the UK, but there are non here across the pond. There is also an association for No.31 B&GS Association London England, but cannot seem to find it any where, any ideas for contact information on this

I am trying to trace my grandfather Patrick Young, whom if he was part of this would make our family 4 generations serving including myself.