Thread: Eric Williams DFM Citation (moved)

Thanks

Default Eric Williams DFM Citation (moved)

I wonder if anyone can help me at all please.

My late father was awarded the DFM in 1945 after a reconnaissance flight over Phuket with I believe 160 squadron. I have some notes he wrote late in life detailing his experiences, but during his life he was very reluctant to provide too much detail. It would be tremendous to read his citation as he mentions one was published and eventually reached his mother many months later.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions as to how I may track down this information.

many thanks

Thanks

Hello Keith, welcome to the forum. I movedyour post to the 'General' forum where it will be more widely read.
    Perhaps you are aware that the 160 Squadron ORBs are available to view online?

http://www.rquirk.com/160.html

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Many thanks for that and for the link - I found a picture of him 'Taffy Willams' in the second last squadron newsletter. He's also mentioned in Laurie Jones account in number 18 which has filled in quite a few holes already.

Lots if material there to be starting with :)
    Last edited by Keith_will; 7th February 2016 at 20:00.

Thanks

Williams Eric 1422090 F/Sgt. 160 Sq.
    LG 30/10/1945 Sorties 21 Flying Hours 280 F/E
    Throughout his tour of 280 hours involving 21 operational sorties, F/Sgt. Williams has carried out his duties in an exemplary manner. In addition to these duties, he successfully discharged the duties of camera operator. During one sortie against a strongly defended target, F/Sgt. Williams,by placing himself in a position of great personal danger, was able to obtain a large number of hand-held photographs which proved of great value.(DFM Register for WW11 - Ian Tavender)

Thanks

The award of Eric Williams' D.F.M. is reported in the Liverpool Daily Post of October 31st 1945, as follows:

"The D.F.M. is awarded to Flight-Sergeant Eric Williams, R.A.F.V.R., of No. 160 Squadron. The citation says that during one of his sorties, against a strongly defended target, Flight-Sergeant Williams secured a large number of valuable photographs, although this involved placing himself in a position of great danger.
    Flight-Sergeant Williams was born in 1924 at Pendelton, and his home is at Dolgelley. He was educated at Talybont Council School, and before enlisting was an assistant caretaker."

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you both very much for that information, it's hugely appreciated