Thread: VCAS or DCAS or both?

Thanks

Default VCAS or DCAS or both?

I would be grateful if someone (Malcolm?) could nail this for me.

Essentially the question is - during the War was there a Vice CAS AND a Deputy CAS or were the titles Vice CAS and Deputy CAS used for the same post? If so presumably one of the other is not correct so is it possible to say which one is formally correct? Sadly my command of the detail is not sufficiently good to give me the certainty that I would like.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    Both posts existed. Not immediately obvious how they were differentiated. A quick trawl on t'internet shows the wartime incumbents were:

Vice-Chief of the Air Staff:
    22 April 1940 – 4 October 1940 Air Marshal Sir Richard Peirse
    4 October 1940 – 19 October 1942 Air Chief Marshal Sir Wilfrid Freeman
    19 October 1942 – 21 March 1943 Air Vice-Marshal C E H Medhurst (acting) Air Chief Marshal Tedder had been due to take the appointment but after a meeting with Eisenhower, the Americans asked Churchill to appoint Tedder as Air Commander for the whole Mediterranean area.
    21 March 1943 – 1 June 1946 Sir Douglas Evill

Deputy Chief of the Air Staff:
    From 25 January 1937 Air Vice-Marshal R E C Peirse (Also Director of Operations and Intelligence)
    From 22 April 1940 Air Vice-Marshal W S Douglas
    From 25 November 1940 Air Vice-Marshal A T Harris
    From 1 June 1941 Air Vice-Marshal N H Bottomley (from 3 May 1942 to 30 Jul 1943 the post was titled Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Operations))

Thanks

Thanks Richard sometimes it is not easy to see the trees for the wood and I never thought to go at it that way! My interpretation of the Wiki entries is that the Deputy was the senior post the Vice was the "senior assistant" CAS. For other readers I would still appreciate confirmation of that analysis.
    Steve

Thanks

It has not changed in principle today. The Vice Chief (there is only one) is the immediate 'deputy' to the top of the shop, CDS. Then there are a number of Deputy Chiefs in MOD, each with their own unique portfolios, but the same equivalent rank as the Vice Chief. Assistant Chiefs come under them the Deputy Chiefs. Therefore, in seniority order, it is Chief, Vice Chief, Deputy Chiefs, Assistant Chiefs.........
    Last edited by jonny; 9th February 2016 at 18:38. Reason: Clarification required!
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.