Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennfield Ridge Air Station, No.2 ANS & No.34 OTU

Thanks

Default Pennfield Ridge Air Station, No.2 ANS & No.34 OTU

Since 26 January 2007 I have been researching the history of the former WWII Air Station at Pennfield Ridge and the former army training grounds (Camp Utopia) at Utopia. Due to an ever-increasing interest in both of these former military bases and our veterans in general, I decided to form the “not-for-profit” society, “Pennfield Parish Military Historical Society Ltd.” to help further preserve the rich military history of this area.

The purpose of this society is to discover, procure, collect, preserve, display and interpret material of historical value associated with the area and to work with other organizations that have similar goals. The Beaver Harbour Community Venture Ltd., located at 18 Quaker Lane in Beaver Harbour, has agreed to provide space in their archives so a display of artifacts, material, etc. can be made available to the public and further raise awareness of the sacrifices of our servicemen and women.

We are well on our way to achieving our goal and anyone with any information the former Air Station, photographs, artifacts or memories to share please feel free to contact Chris Larsen at 309 Mealey Road/ Pennfield, NB/ E5H 1T5; (506) 754-2323 or (506) 456-3494; http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbpennfi/penn8bAirStation.htm or e-mail pennfieldparish@yahoo.com

Regards,
    Chris Larsen
    Last edited by PennfieldParish; 24th February 2009 at 18:31. Reason: Mailing address and website address changes.

Thanks

Isn't this also Jason Gaudet's area of expertise?

Max

Sniper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    Isn't this also Jason Gaudet's area of expertise?

Max
    Your right Max, i believe that Jason has been researching both these areas for a few years now. A very helpful chap he is to.

Regards
    Mike

Thanks

Default Pennfield Ridge Air Station, No.2 ANS & No.34 OTU

The "Pennfield Parish Military Historical Society" was established to pay respect and tribute to those ordinary and yet an extraordinary human beings - people who offered some of their life's most vital years in the service of their country, and who sacrificed their ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs. Old soldiers are not afraid to die, they are afraid they might be forgotten. So this society is my contribution to make sure those who served from Pennfield Parish and those who served and trained at the Air Station and Camp Utopia will not be forgotten.

Sniper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PennfieldParish View Post
    The "Pennfield Parish Military Historical Society" was established to pay respect and tribute to those ordinary and yet an extraordinary human beings - people who offered some of their life's most vital years in the service of their country, and who sacrificed their ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs. Old soldiers are not afraid to die, they are afraid they might be forgotten. So this society is my contribution to make sure those who served from Pennfield Parish and those who served and trained at the Air Station and Camp Utopia will not be forgotten.
    Hi Chris,

Sounds good to me. There is another guy who is researching the same places as you are, perhaps you should get together. His name is Jason and he lives in the area i believe. I wish you well with your project.

Sniper

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PennfieldParish View Post
    I think most of us who do this kind of research have the same motives and dedication that you have Chris - if you look at my interim website www.galgos.co.uk you will find that it is entitled "Just an ordinary crew" but that it pays homage not only to one crew of seven in one Lancaster, but to all who served in any capacity in BC during the war years and who helped towards final victory.
    I agree with Sniper, if Jason (his profile gives his contact details) has also been working on Pennfield Ridge Air Station, it would seem sense to contact him and pool your accumulated knowledge. It's what this board, and others, are about.
    Best wishes
    Max

Thanks

Default Pennfield Ridge

G'day Chaps

I can only speak personally about my association with Jason over the last year that I've been helping him with research on the many flying accidents and incidents that took place over the wartime history of Pennfield Ridge. He has made tremendous strides in his efforts to record the rich history of the O.T.U. and thus should be highly commended for it. Jason’s depth of knowledge is to say the least quite impressive and far eclipses any ‘Johnny Come Lately’.

I look forward to when his book is published. In the meantime, I will continue to support his noble efforts and hope that you do as well.

Cheers…Chris

scribe Guest

Default Pennfield & Utopia

hello, interesting to see this "new" interest in both of these locations. I first visited this Station and Camp in the early 1970s. I knew some who served at both locations. I have also known Jason and his work since he first started it so many years ago. He is recognized nationally by many veteran organizations and professional and serious amateur historians and researchers as the true spirit and guiding light behind valid efforts to study and disseminate information about both locations. I have given him several original photographs of both locations, as well as other documentation. Jason has spoken several times publically about Pennfield and was the person responsible for compiling the list of those killed from the Station, and also that they be recognized at the memorial near the Station. Enough said on the quality and depth of his research, it can't be duplicated.

Having said that, my own interest in aviation matters relate to RCAF Station St. John at Millidgeville, New Brunswick, and also the airports at Blissville and Moncton, New Brunswick, especially their uses during wartime.

I look forward to sharing information and ideas with those in this forum.

Gaudet Guest

Hi gang... All I can say is that I have made the invitation to meet with Chris on several occasions and have yet to do so. Therefore it is interesting that there is a need to form a 'society'.

Regardless of other interest in Pennfield Ridge (& Camp Utopia?) I am continuing on with my project and will certainly be back on the forums on a regular basis again... once I wrap up my third project, which I need to keep secret for now...

Thanks

Default Pennfield Ridge War Memorial Service Planned For September 27th

PENNFIELD – The Pennfield Parish Military Historical Society will host a memorial service in September to remember all those who served and/or worked the Pennfield Ridge Air Station.

This base was an important part of the Canadian war effort. Aircrews from Canada, Britain, New Zealand and Australia trained at Pennfield Ridge as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP). Sixty-nine airmen died while training at the base along with one British seaman who was aboard a Ventura aircraft when it crashed. Also during the initial stages of construction three civilian workers were killed and, during the history of the base, an additional three civilian workers died.

The memorial service will take place Sunday, September 27th at the Provincial Park, Pennfield Ridge (across Route 1 from the Pennfield Ridge Post Office) at 2 pm. A reception service will follow at The Royal Canadian Legion (Branch #40), St. George afterwards from 3:00 until 5 p.m.

Past and current members of the military have been invited to attend the ceremony as well as representatives from the local, provincial and federal governments. Also family members of those killed at "the Ridge" have been invited to attend the service as well.

Registration, although not necessary, is strongly recommended due to seating limitations at the reception service. To reserve your seat to the reception services please call (506) 456-3494.

Some of the Squadrons those from "the Ridge" served in are, but not limited to, as follows: 5; 7; 9; 10; 14; 15; 21; 62; 75; 78; 83; 88; 97; 98; 114; 115; 149; 156; 180; 190; 196; 218; 220; 226; 280; 287; 297; 299; 357; 405; 407; 408; 419; 420; 425; 426; 427; 428; 429; 432; 433; 434; 437; 463; 464; 487 and 519.

Regards,
    G Christian Larsen
    President - Pennfield Parish Military Historical Society
    Member of Second Tactical Air Force Association (Canadian Wing)