Thread: Op BITING - RAF Parachute Instructor Query

Thanks

Default Op BITING - RAF Parachute Instructor Query

Chaps,

I hope someone can assist with a general enquiry regarding the above. I have seen a note in a Service Record that one of the original RAF parachute instructors from Ringway (a Sgt 'Albert' Wicklow) was attached to 51 Sqn at Linton before the Bruneval raid. Following the raid, he returned to Ringway. I know it's a leap of faith to suggest that he was sent to 51 Sqn to assist in the preparation of Op BITING, but I think it is a distinct possibility. I am also mulling over the notion that he acted as an aircraft despatcher during the raid. Does anyone know whether the Whitley's carried them?

Any help / leads would be gratefully received!

Very many thanks in advance

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny, Hi,
    Regardless of what function he performed on Op BITING he was not the only one detached from Ringway for the Op. Sqn Ldr Campbell Crichton-Miller ((73946) S Met O CLS Ringway) was also detached to give a final Met briefing to the aircrews and Ops at the a/c fuel 'topping-up' airfield. There will probably be something buried in the depths of TNA?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Of possible interest ?

WICKLOW, Victor Albert Edward, Acting Sergeant (542440, Royal Air Force) - Station Netheravon - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 2 June 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/9609 (courtesy Steve Brew) has citation.

This airman has been connected with the training of Airborne forces since June 1940 and his work in this sphere has been outstanding. He was a parachute instructor at Ringway for nearly two years, where he made a great many descents, many of them experimental, and did a great deal to foster confidence and goodwill among the paratroops. He was attached to the first Parachute Brigade for some months in North Africa and his work and knowledge of airborne matters has been invaluable.

Thanks

Thanks chaps. That's my man Hugh. He was also MID in 1946.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.