Thread: Arnhem Dakota - KG417

Thanks

Default Arnhem Dakota - KG417

Hi all

I researched this aircraft some years ago including the crew but wonder if anyone could assist in finding out a little more please.

The aircraft was part of the aerial armada to resupply the beleaguered allied ground forces on Sept 21st 1944, when it was hit by an aluminium supply container released form a higher flying aircraft. This detached one of the wings from the aircraft and it subsequently crashed I believe at Driel, I have also been advised it was on the south bank of the Rhine close to the Driel Ferry.

I would be grateful if anyone could give more precise details of the accident site and/or photographs etc, any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Although it doesn't add a great deal "Though Without Anger" by Colin Cummings seems to confirm the crash location stating that the aircraft dived into the ground on the south bank of the river just north of Driel. It is also stated that aircraft from 233 and 437 squadrons were dropping supplies from 2000 to 3000 and were flying ahead of the aircraft from 48 and 271 squadrons and hence their loads presented a hazard to the lower flying following aircraft.

Regards, J.

Thanks

Never mind Cummings - he knows nothing!

Try 'Tugs and Gliders to Arnhem' and 'Green On' both by Arie-Jan van Hees.