Thread: 61 Sqn Lincoln RE297

Thanks

Default 61 Sqn Lincoln RE297

Morning Gents

Another plea in tidying up some loose end for a long term project

61 Sqn Avro Lincoln B2 RE297 crashed on Mount Kinangop in the South Aberdare range, Kenya on 22/03/54. The five man crew detached from 61 Sqn,Wittering to Eastleigh were killed.

Pilot Flt Lt Michael Weight ~ Age 27
    Flight Engineer M/Eng William Joseph Beesley BEM ~ Age 33
    Navigator (P) Fg Off Michael William Humphrey Owen ~ Age 25
    Navigator (O) Fg Off Robert Joseph Robinson ~ Age 22
    Air Gunner Sgt James Keith Atkinson ~ Age 23

Can anyone confirm their burial locations? Were they buried in Kenya (and if so where?) or were they repatriated back to the UK (and if so where?) The Armed Forces Memorial database routinely does not provide details of NoK or burial locations for post war losses.

Any info from the usual wealth of knowledge "here" will be as always gratefully received

Kind Regards

Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony,

For Michael WEIGHT, read Michael WAIGHT.

622610 William Joseph BEESLEY DFM

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4693

Can't help with burial information.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th February 2016 at 09:04.

Thanks

Col

Thanks for the update - details duly ammended

Thanks

Hi Tony
    Not sure if it is too late to reply to this? - I see your post 6th March thanking all for help with your project - so perhaps you have finished?
    In short, it is pretty certain that the 5 bodies could not be recovered owing to the terrain. M Owen was my ancestor and I have researched this as much as I could.
    Just wondered if you know of Wg Cdr Steve Chappell? - he has also helped me with this and I could ask him to get in touch if useful?
    Kate

Thanks

Hi Kate

My participation in the project is finished as the books have now gone to the printers for, er printing! They were/will be listed as "burial location not known" in the books, they will also be simply listed by rank/name/date on boards that are being installed in the Stn Heritage Centre

Tony

Thanks

Tony, with respect, the fact that the book is with the printers does not stop an addendum being prepared.

As to Steve Chappell - well the lucky so and so is based at RAF Akrotiri and he has done a great deal of work on the RAF in Kenya/East Africa and might just be able to answer your question.

Two other sources. First, are there no contacts with any of the families involved? Second, a query submitted via AHB(RAF) under the Defence Publications scheme should bring up all that is known. However, it is not free and so I suggest the enquiry is confined to a single person at first. Finally, responsibility for the care of graves post-war was vested in an MOD branch and must still be with somebody, given that as recently as the Falklands Conflict British service personnel are buried abroad.

And finally, finally, write to the British High Commission in Kenya. If there is a known grave, somebody will be responsible for inspecting it occasionally and that will probably be the Defence Attache.

All is not yet lost!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Navigator's name is incorrect.It was Malcolm, not Michael