Thread: 61 Sqn Hampden X2981, October 1940 - individual letter?

Thanks

Default 61 Sqn Hampden X2981, October 1940 - individual letter?

Hello everyone

On October 26th 1940, Hampden I X2981 of 61 Squadron attacked and shot down a Heinkel He-115 float plane whilst on a search and rescue mission from Hemswell. The pilot, F/O Louis Patrick Massey, was awarded the D.F.C., later receiving the Bar to this, but lost his life in a 159 Sqn Liberator in Burma in 1943.

Is there anyone who can help with the Hampden's individual code letter at that time?

Many thanks

Simon

PS - a Hampden and He-115 would make an interesting 'Dogfight Double' for Airfix to produce...!

Thanks

Dear Simon
    I have looked in the Hampden File by Harry Moyle.
    This aircraft was lost while testing an Imp mine on 20/12/40 with a loss of all the crew. There is no mention of the aircraft's individual squadron letter. I would suggest the squadron ORB or Station ORB may turn up the results you are after.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Thanks for the reply James.

Oddly enough, I have managed to track down the ID of the He-115, thanks to the 12 OCH forum - Heinkel He115B-1 S4+AH of 1./KüFlGr. 506. Hopefully the letter for the Hampden may be found too.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

The combat ran for 20 mins according to the debrief. Feeling sorry for the crew of the Heinkel (who appeared not to have a dinghy) the crew of X2981 dropped theirs into the sea for them. The Heinkel crew came ashore at Hemsley, Norfolk, 22 hours after being shot down. Alas no individual code in the ORB

Thanks

Dear Simon
    Just found my copy of the Hampden and Hereford Crash Log by Nicholas Roberts

X2981 61 Sqn. 20.12.40 On functioning trial of 'Imp' type mine, which prematurely exploded in mid air at 15.00 hours over Theddlethorpe, near Manby, destroying aircraft. Three killed. Cat W.

There is no mention of a Squadron code letter.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Thanks once again James for your help, and thank you for the extra info Alan.

Regards

Simon