Thread: Frederick Peter James McGevor, DFM, 70424

Thanks

Default Frederick Peter James McGevor, DFM, 70424

It's a bit of a long-shot, but does anyone have a photo of Squadron Leader FPJ McGevor? He was killed on 28 February 1942 flying Beaufighter IIf R2333 which was on an evening interception NW of Cromer. The aircraft crashed into the sea. S/Ldr McGevor and his R/O Sgt Barker are believed to have bailed out, but are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial and buried in Scottow Cemetery respectively.

If anyone can help with an image of S/Ldr McGevor, I would be extremely grateful.
    Last edited by Ian Brown; 23rd February 2016 at 21:12. Reason: Updating burial details

Thanks

Ian

There is a small photo of sorts in an article in the Newcastle Weekly Chronicle from Saturday May 25th 1940. The article reports that he has been listed as wounded or injured on active service, presumably in the accident involving Bristol Bombay L5183 of 271 Sqn on May 11th. He is specifically mentioned in the Newcastle newspaper due to the fact that McGevor was an instructor at Newcastle Aero Club between 1930 and 1936.

Inerestingly, he was awarded the D.F.M. in 1924, whilst an L.A.C., for operations in Kurdistan. The award was announced in Flight Magazine, June 19th 1924.

I say a photo of sorts, as it looks almost like a sketch.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

Thanks very much for tis. Is it possible to send me a scan of the photo/image, ideally as high resolution as possible? If so, do please sent it to i.brown999 AT btinternet.com, replacing the AT with @ and putting the two parts together. If it's possible to send this to me, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

No problem, will do.

Regards

Simon