Thread: Polish Air Force Squadron Leader and Daughter Reunited

Thanks

Default Polish Air Force Squadron Leader and Daughter Reunited

In his book: “The Forgotten Few”, Adam Samoyski recounts a story about a Polish Air Force squadron leader, who was based in Germany in the final days of the war and he uses the account to highlight the chaotic conditions etc.

The officer sees a child walking amongst the aircraft and he tells her in German that it is dangerous to do so. She replies to him in Polish that her mother is dead and she is searching for her father who is in the Polish Air Force. The officer asks for the name of the Pole and she gives him his own!

It is possible that the base is Nordhorn and although I have looked at a book which relates to Polish Air Force squadron commanders, I cannot identify the officer with any certainty.

Does anybody know the name of the officer and his daughter and, importantly, what happened to them afterwards?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello Colin,
    May I suggest contacting the Polish Institute and Sikorsky Museum in London with your question?

http://www.pism.co.uk/

HTH,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,

Thank you for your suggestion re contacting the Polish Institute. I have always found them most helpful in responding to my queries and it is they who provided me with a huge mass of information regarding the Polish Parachute Brigade.

I shall do as you suggest.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin.

I have very recently engaged with the museum seeking information on a member of the Polish Special Forces ex Bomber Command Air Crew volunteer. That involved a fee of £25 for information but I think arranged visits do not incur such costs. It is a fantastic place which makes me wish I could read Polish !