Thread: Siskin J8395 Serial Look Up from J File Please

Thanks

Default Siskin J8395 Serial Look Up from J File Please

Can someone please let me know what the J file says about

Siskin J8395 ?

Many Thanks

I will return to this one way or another!

Thanks

Paul.. Blank entry for J8395.. just an airframe (AW188) C/n against it..no other details

Thanks

Jagan

I was hoping it would say 111 Sqn - But no matter I know what happened to it!

My oldest bale out mystery was till today that involving F/O John Woodburn Gillan (he off down wind Gillan fame) while he was with 111 Sqn in 1929

The ORB has a single line

111 Sqn ORB Hornchurch: During the month of January (1929) the fog appeared to be permanent, consequently whenever a clear patch appeared pilots took off and endeavoured to practice as much as possible. On the 31st January one pilot was caught in the fog an was forced to abandon the aircraft by parachute in Norfolk. (Irvin has 'Diss')

I knew from Irvin list the pilot was F/O John Woodburn Gillan but they had two different dates January 30, 1929 or January 30, 1930 (both I believed wrong) but
    I could not prove the right one nor find a likely Siskin..

Until today!

Bury Free Press - Saturday 09 February 1929
    Aeroplane Descends at Coney Weston
    Pilot Unhurt

An aeroplane, J8395 attached to the "Royal Navy" (sic), crashed into some meadow ground known as the Fen,
    about 20 yards off the highway of Coney Weston (Suffolk), about 4.30 on Thursday afternoon (i.e 31st Jan 1929)
    Much consternation was experience by the local inhabitants when no pilot could be found and parties with lanterns turned
    out in the fog searching the woods and land roundabout.
    After several hours searching, news came along that the pilot was safe and sound. He had descended, though engine trouble in a parachute between Garboldisham and South Lopham. The aeroplane a Siskin-Jaguar built in 1925 (? difficult to read) started from Hornchurch Essex. Fortunately, with the exception of one tree no damage was one
    but the 'plane was a complete wreck

QED

Thanks

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 8th March 2016 at 13:14.

Thanks

Good one Paul. You filled in that 'blank'! Unusual for news papers to report on the serial number!?

Thanks

Yes very unusual and a nice surprise shame no photo though however no doubt they read it off the rudder! I think the editor of the Bury Free Press was an early aviation fan I have found loads of prewar snippets in the archive of aviation in Suffolk and even detailed Inquest reports when no obvious local connection!

Kind regards Paul