Thread: 222 Squadron ALG flooding late 1944

Thanks

Default 222 Squadron ALG flooding late 1944

Has anyone come across any circumstances of 222 Squadron operating from an ALG mid to late 1944 which was subjected to flooding.
    They were at Carpiquet, Godelemesnil and Merville August Sept October 1944.
    This does not appear to be readilly recorded.

Thank you.
    Colin.

Thanks

Hello Colin

What is your source ? Squadron ORB ?

Merville has often been subject to flooding. In late 1939 Gladiators left Merville for Vitry-en-Artois (from memory) for that reason. Even these last years they were still facing the problem, at times,...

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss.
    Two small snap photos taken by a Pilot from 222 Squadron which show extensive flooding across an open area. The flooding was such that he thought it worthy of photographing so I am assuming it was from one of the landing grounds I mentioned. Your thoughts on Merville may well be correct, it is was then no flying would have been possible thats for sure. Your knowledge always amazes me Joss, thank you.

Thanks

Hello

On the pictures, can you see any infrastructures ? B53 Merville had 3 concrete runways, taxiways, a few hangars. The weather was not very good when No. 135 Wing was based at B53 Merville.

B35 was unserviceable for most of the stay of the Wing there. 10th September entry : "After orbiting for a considerable time, the Squadron [222] was finally allowed to land, with much care. We soon discovered why when we started taxying, as the ground was soft and treacherous". Contrary to B53 which was a former Luftwaffe airfield, B35 was clearly an advanced landing ground made from farmland, so it's much more likely, upon reflection, that the pictures you mention may have been taken there rather then Merville.

Joss

Thanks

Joss.

Very little can be gleaned from the little snap photos but you no doubt are right because the only building of sorts is a wooden dilapidated barn or shelter which is surrounded by water. This would clearly fit well with your assumption of B35 ALG but no Spitfires could have landed in those conditions. The Pilot I am interested in a chap called Cosgrove he only records being at B35 between 10 September to 12 September 1944 and Merville 12 September to 4 October 1944.