Thread: F/L Koester George DS RCAF

Alain Guest

Default F/L Koester George DS RCAF

Hello ,

Who can help me with some information on F/L Koester George Denis Scott RCAF who flew as a pilot Mosquitoes with N 109 Sqdn in 1943 ?

Thanks

Have you had a look at:

http://www.airforce.ca/wwii/ALPHA-KO.KY.html

A

Alain Guest

Default F/L Koester

Hallo Amrith ,

Thanks for the help , what's a calibrating flight ?

Alain

Thanks

109 Squadron were involved in the development of OBOE (the blind bombing system), and aircraft were occassionally sent over to calibrate the system, and if memory serves me right, to check the German's system. I need to check my copy of Beam Bombers but St Nazaire, I think, was the base of one the German's beam systems.

A

Thanks

Koester was a Navigator who flew with S/L J.C. "Monty" Thelwell at No.109 Squadron then was transferred to the only other Squadron that did Oboe marking, No.105. I have ORBs from both Squadrons although my 109 entries start in Oct. 43 which may be after he went to 105. I can also check some books I have on Oboe. What information are you looking for?
    I know one of the German beam transmitters was at Cherbourg and they carried out "Ruffian Raids", using the German beam to fly down then bombing the source and 109 Squadron carried out lots of those operations in the early days.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 10th June 2008 at 18:01.

Thanks

Most of the "calibration" flights I have come across were done when testing out the new Oboe transmitting stations on the ground which were being added all the time. Every time an Oboe Mosquito went down the beam there were two separtate stations on the ground with about a dozen people in each that were monitoring and plotting the aircraft's position on the beam as well as sending out morse signals to the pilot and navigator. They needed quite a few of these stations so there were a fair number of calibration flights done. In some crew log books they are classed as "experimental" ops.
    Dave Wallace

Alain Guest

Default F/L Koester

Hello ,

Thank you gentlemen for the marvellous help.

Alain

Alain Guest

Default F/L Koester

Hi ,

Oops forgot this , is there somewhere a picture of this crew ?

Alain