Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I should know this but don't.... Bristol Blenheim Mk1 Hatches

Thanks

Default I should know this but don't.... Bristol Blenheim Mk1 Hatches

All

I know there is a cockpit hatch in the upper glass cockpit covering of the Mk 1 Blenheim. Which the Pilot and Obs/Nav used to ingress and egress the aircraft. Their was also a rear hatch for the WOp/AG but where was that ? Was it via the Turret??

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul,
    the hatch was immediately forward of the turret and was used for entry to and exit from the turret.

Regards

Sean.

Thanks

Paul. I have seen a nice image of Blenheims being flow with the hatch open, obviously transit movements, it was a fairly large one.

Thanks

Thanks - 'immediately forward of the turret ' I assume on top of fuselage?

Forward of turret must have made it difficult to get out of in an emergency a risk of hitting turret itself

Thanks

I believe that there was a hatch slightly forward of the turret, but my knowledge is very limited of this type of aircraft. A quick google search brought me to this website which has some line drawings of Blenheims showing the hatch, http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/Blenheim%201.htm

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 9th March 2016 at 12:42. Reason: more info

Thanks

Thanks all

I have a full picture now. On June 19, 1939 Wop./Ag Aircraftman (1st Class) Jack Maurice Forsdyke #546715 was killed bailing out of Bristol Blenheim L1253 of Aeroplane and Armanent Experimental Establishment at Martlesham Heath, Suffolk

The pilot Squadron-Leader Ian Grant Mackay got the plane home, the Observer/Nav Aircraftman (1st Class) Christopher Stoddart #522002 bailed out of top cockpit hatch ok landed in tree on Lord Iveagh’s estate at Icklingham, Suffolk and suffered bruises.

Mackay knew something hit the tail, and assumed it was the crewman who escaped from rear hatch (Forsdyke was in turret) looks like he probably went over side and somehow hit tail fin

Paul

Thanks

Paul.
    I found the image I mentioned have sent it to your e mail. It explains all I think.
    Colin.

Thanks

Hi,

Interesting snippet about the crew of this Blenheim, thank you. Forsdyke is buried in West Row Baptist Chapelyard, Suffolk but his gravestone shows his date of death as the 20th, not the 19th.

Thanks

Re: Forsdyke was definitely killed on 19th June 1939 - newspapers printed in morning of 20th June confirm incident previous day

looks like the grave was wrong!

Thanks

Yes I agree, the gravestone is wrong, which is rather sad.

May I enquire what were the circumstances that made it necessary for the Observer and the WOp/AG to bale out but allowed the pilot to get the aircraft back safely?