Thread: 515 Squadron / Little Snoring

emile Guest

Default 515 Squadron / Little Snoring

Hi,

Looking for some folks that was at Little Snoring at the same time as my uncle Emile van Heerden, SAAF, pilot of Mosquito PZ249 shot down near Leiphein Airfield by a German 20mm FlaK38 on the night of 2nd Aril 1945. Navigator James William Robson. Both KIA
    Kind regards
    Emile

Thanks

Hi Emile
    You might try 515 Squadron Association Bill Bridgman, 8 Wellesley Close, Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO7 7JD: tel 023 9226 2090 [FWH 02/01]. The address comes from another Sqn Assoc. site that has a list of fellow Sqns which they try to keep up to date.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default 515 Squadron/Little Snoring

I am a US_Citizen and currently invoved investigating history of WWII airports in Germany with ME-262 background,
    whereby I came across the "flak-down"of the Mosquito piloted by Emile van Heerden SAAF in the morning hours of
    April 1/2, 1945 at Leipheim (Bubisheim).
    Regards
    Dck

Thanks

Default 515 Squadron _ Little Snoring

Hi

It would seem that we have some similarities, since my father's elder brother was killed in action over Holland flying a Mosquito from 515 Squadron based in Little Snoring. I too have my uncle's name 'David'.

My uncle is was killed on 28th May 1944 and is buried at Leeuwarden Northern General Cemetery in Holland.

I am still trying to trace details of the plane he was flying at the time, as well as any other details.

Regards

David Foster

Thanks

Hi David,

The aircraft was NS931. I'm afraid I don't have a squadron code for you. F/O DK Foster and F/O RS Ling were brought down by flak over Leeuwarden airfield, apparently at about 0330 local time.

Thanks

515 Squadron code was 3P

Thanks

My Uncle, Flt Sgt TJR (Roy) Smith was killed on 18 September 1944 when the Mosquito he was navigating crashed over Germany. Other than that I have no details or plane number. My middle name is also Roy in his memory.

Thanks

Hi KRD

Your uncle was flying in Mosquito VI, NS962 which crashed near the airfield at Plantluane during a bomber support sortie after the pilot lost control when he was blinded by a searchlight

BCL/5

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help.
    Keith

Thanks

In case anyone is still searching I have uncovered some more information about 515. My father, Flt Lt Joseph Finlayson then Flt Sgt Navigator on 515 was subsequetly posted to 627 Sqn where he crashed and suffered eventually fatal wounds. I have submitted a Squadron ORB to a very helpful researcher on this site name Jagan who has agreed to post it. I hope it may be of use to those still searching for information on friends or family.

Andrew