Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster with nose art - aircraft ID anyone?

Thanks

Default Lancaster with nose art - aircraft ID anyone?

Hello everyone

Over on the BritModeller Forum, a query has been posted trying to ID a Lancaster decorated with some 'saucy' nose art and a set of mission markings. Link here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...his-lancaster/

and a link direct to the photo:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1586/...caecceb7_z.jpg

The letter 'W' on the nose seems like it's overpainted on a previous letter, so maybe it changed units after the nose art was applied? I've had a look through Clarence Simonsen's book 'RAF and RCAF Nose Art' and not found a match, nor can I see anything at the Lancaster Archive's nose art photos collection. Can anyone offer an ID?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I can't identify the Lanc I'm afraid, but that does look like a gas patch on the side, just in front of the bomb tally and artwork, which almost certainly narrows it down to a 1 Group Squadron. I'll have a look in Pat Otter's "Maximum Effort" trilogy over the weekend and see if I can see it in any of those volumes.

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Thanks Greg, much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello,

On the Britmodeller page I see that Stein has made mention of the small perspex blister rearward of the nose and that he had only seen this on Lancasters in the PB serial range. If that is the case could this aircraft be Lancaster PB172, coded HW-W, brought down over Germany on a Stuttgart raid, 28-29 July 1944?

Dave.

Thanks

Morning Dave - I'm not going to say it definitely isn't PB172, but in all my years researching 100 Sqn I've never seen that noseart on any 100 Sqn Lanc. Of course, someone will happen along now and prove me utterly wrong, and I'll be consigned to the amateur league... ;)

Ian Reid is generally acknowledged to be the gen man on 100's Lancaster period. He's not a resident of this board, but I know he's on a couple of others - the "FlyPast" forum is one he uses I think? If you can track him down, he'll definitely be able to confirm or deny it's PB172.

All the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hello Greg,

Thank you for that. Purely speculative reasoning on my part and probably way off track, (amateur league aspirant!) Still, it has me intrigued now so I'll try and follow up your suggestion.

All the best from a sunny Lincolnshire.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hi there,
    If this is a 100 Squadron aircraft,it could well be LL952.She was coded ' W' from her first sortie with the squadron on 28-29/8/44 to the end of March 1945 when she was recoded 'W2'.The squadron O.R.B.lists LL952 as taking off on 61 sorties,a number of which were aborted,so 52 sorties completed as quoted elsewhere would be about right.The extra sorties that appear to be recorded on the bomb log in the photo could be accounted for by LL952's service with 460 Squadron.A quick look through the 460 Sqn O.R.B.online at The Australian National Archives shows LL952 operational from at least the second week of June 1944,although I have not done an exact count of sorties completed.The Roden crew is listed as having flown three sorties in LL952,two 'Manna' sorties on 3rd and 7th May 1945 and one 'Exodus' sortie on 11th May.As for the perspex blister,is it possibly a field modification?
    Hope this is of interest,
    Regards,Mark Simpson.

Thanks

Just came across this photo on the AWM website, showing a 460 (RAAF) Squadron Lancaster:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P02604.032

Looks to be the same artwork, although she seems to have lost her bomb at some stage...so it may indeed be LL952?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Good find Simon :) It's difficult to say (I've saved "your" photo and enlarged it on my screen) for sure, but I'd agree with you that it may indeed be the same aircraft, minus the big bomb that the racey noseart girl seems to have carelessly lost at some point!!

LL952 went to 100 ex-460 Sqn on the 15th of August 1944, which would fit with "your" photo, and the lower bomb tally, being taken on 460 Sqn. Not conclusive proof, obviously, but it fits. And I've found some noserart on a 100 Sqn Lanc that I didn't know about before if it is indeed LL952 :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

No worries Greg, happy to help. It was one of those 'found something I wasn't actually looking for' finds - I was looking for Stirling photos on the AWM site, and just thought I'd try 'Lancaster nose art' on the off-chance, and there she was...

I've added a link to this thread to the thread on BritModeller too.

Regards

Simon