Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cpl Stanley Walter Alexander Hill - 653 AOP Squadron

Thanks

Hi John,

Just a thought: have you also checked 653 Sqdn records in WO171/1224 ? I don't know whether this is an exact copy of the ORB in AIR27, but perhaps the WO171 document contains extra appendices.

Unfortunately it is not digital available and has to be checked in person at TNA in Kew...

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

There does not appear to be an A.M. Form 1180 record for Auster IV MS959 loss with Capt Jenkins.

However reel no. 16/81 contains a F.1180 card for Capt. R. Vipond's accident of 17 November 1944. The aircraft involved was Auster V RT617 of No.652 Sqdn. and occurred near Maeseyck, Holland. There were 2 people were injured in the aircraft but only Capt R. Vipond is named and both are noted as "other than RAF". "Pilot making dummy run over a prospective A.L.G. struck tree with P. wing and crashed." "Serious EJ but in view of injuries to pilot NFA."
    Freshman

Thanks

Hans ; thank you for that suggestion. I had wondered if 653 may have a ward diary and you have now confirmed the correct reference. Unfortunately I am a long way from TNA but if / when I finally manage to visit there I will follow up your suggestion.

Freshman ; many thanks for that additional information. It is frustrating that there is no 1180 for MS959 as I still think it is the more likely candidate but I much appreciate you taking the time to check this out. It is of course still possible that Stanley Hill was wounded in a ground incident rather than a crash.

Any further information or suggestions from any quarter remain most welcome.

J