Thread: The Mystery of William Morlais Jones #344008

Thanks

Default The Mystery of William Morlais Jones #344008

From Weekly Telegraph Saturday April 15, 1933

DIDN'T KNOW HIS MOTHER
    HOSPITAL MYSTERY MAN IDENTIFIED.
    EX-FLIER'S LOST MEMORY.
    DOCTORS DRAW BLANK.
    The Walton Hospital "mystery man," known until now as "Mr. de Crespigny," has been identified as William Morlais Jones (32), of Telegraph Road, Heswall (Cheshire).
    For some time he was a part-time post office worker. Latter he was a sergeant in the Royal Air Force His mother Mrs Wilson, dashed to the hospital to see her son after recognising a photograph, but he did not recognise her. He just looked blankly at her and shook his head.

Mrs. Wilson told a "Liverpool Echo" representative that she was sure it had something to do with a crash her son had whilst serving abroad in the Air Force. Her son was a sergeant. and one day the a plane crashed. The pilot was killed and her son had to make a forced descent in parachute. In so doing he broke a leg.

He also lost his memory whilst he was to the Air force, and he was found wandering one day. This crash was about four years ago.

He left the Air Force two or three years ago, and of late he had been very worried because he was only earning 13s 6d a week as an occasional postman. He would not eat.

Her son was a prolific reader and had of late been reading a book by Crespigny, which no doubt explained why he had taken that name.

Jones still in in his bed in the hospital, a disconsolate figure.

Jones reasoned out but curious ease with perfect lucidity during a chat at the hospital with the "Telegraph's" Liverpool correspondent.

"I am not an ordinary lost memory I ease." he said. "because I can tell you anything that has happened since the day my mind gave way and I asked a police-man in the street when I was. Why then don't I know who I am?

On Friday they brought a woman to me. They said '. 'This is your mother.' It didn't awaken any feeling in me at all. I just looked at her, but I did not know her. "It's enough to make a man go mad. I do wish I could get out of here and go bark to the world."
    The master of Walton Hospital said that every form of treatment including psycho analysis, has been resorted to, the man having been hypnotised and his bead X-rayed without result

I was intrigued by William Morlais Jones and his mothers tory so I got his service record from National Archives. He was born 17th Oct 1898 and joined the RAF originally in November 1920 (he had previously served for 5 years as a Private in Welsh Fusiliers)

He trained as an armourer (but also must have been aircrew as he completed air gunners course at Eastchurch in Oct 1922)

and served with 6 Sqn in Iraq from Sept 1923 to Jan 1927 and then Egypt to Dec 1928 (with 47 Sqn and 216 Sqn) when he returned to the UK. He was discharged after service 32 Sqn in Sept 1931 (which matches the "left the Air Force two or three years ago") He did reach acting Sgt rank in 1930 but reverted to Corporal (arrested by civil police after being absent) then reduced to AC2 before he left in 1931 where he was discharged due to being "unfit for present existing standards" - I assume this is when he "He also lost his memory whilst he was to the Air force, and he was found wandering one day"

He joined the RAF Reserves in Oct 1938 and served during the whole of WW2 ending up as Acting W/O and was released Sept 1945

He also was entitled to wear Imperial General Service Medal with Clasp 'Afghan' (though can't find him serving in India with RAF so maybe due to Army service)

Interestingly he appears to have carried out a parachuting course in Iraq in 1925

As far as his broken leg - He was hospitalised twice in his service once with a fever in Dublin (while he was based as Baldonnel in 1920) and secondly in British Hospital in Khartoum from Admitted 22nd Jan 1928 to discharged 6th Feb 1928 while he was with 47 Sqn

But no record of any crash..

I wonder if his mother got the story wrong and she mixed up what he told her. Certainly he is not on my pre-war parachute list but I can't find an accident that matches as well (which I assume would be while he was hospitalised) "1928 would match this crash was about four years ago."

Anybody can help with this one?? OF course it could all just be a Story he told his mum

thanks

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 15th March 2016 at 12:59.

Thanks

Paul, From Ancestry: As 5525 entitled to a BWM and VM having served with 8 Bn, RWF; also served with RWF Base Infantry Depot. 227134 2Nd Cpl William Jones, R.E. was awarded an Indian General Service Medal 08 with clasp Afghanistan, North-West Frontier, 1919. Additional notes to this award were' "serving as 4182403 5th Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry

Thanks for that explains his Indian General Service Medal

you have a pm

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 16th March 2016 at 10:33.

Thanks

Paul, You also should have a pm. Terry