Thread: Dick Chalmers 37 Squadron

Thanks

Default Dick Chalmers 37 Squadron

Hi
    I'm trying to trace the last member of my father in law's crew in 37 Squadron. My father in law is Samuel Craig (now 93) and the man I'm trying to trace is Dick Chalmers, as Sammy has referred to him. I've tried searching for both Richard and Dick Chalmers with no success & I've tried to discover if Chalmers might have been spelled differently. Given that another crew-mate was known as Dai Francis and turned out to be Goronwy Win Francis I suppose anything is possible!
    Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!
    Many thanks
    Gerry

Thanks

Hello ,

When did your father in law served with N 37 sqdn ?

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Hi Alain,
    Sorry, I should have included that info. He served with 37 Sqdn in 1942, in North Africa. He was a tail gunner on Wellngtons & completed 69 sorties. I've been able to trace the other members of his crew but Dick Chalmers is proving to be quite elusive.
    Regards
    Gerry

Thanks

A little bit of additional information. It seems that Dick Chalmers was a Wireless Operator and may have lived in the south of England.

Is there an on-line searchable index of Wireless Operators?

Is it possible to search the Air Force List on-line? I've found the list for 1940-1945 but it doesn't seem to searchable?

Is the London Gazette WW2 archive search either buried within the site or no longer accessible on line?

Grateful for any pointers that I might search!

Gerry

Thanks

Hi Gerry,

If you Google (National Archives squadron ORB" and then type in 37 in the box for the squadron and 1942-1942 in the boxes for dates, you'll be able to select and download the squadron Operations record Books for the period, at about 3.50 each. The record rather than the summary will give names of each member of each crew on ops at that time, by date and operation.

I only have one for 1942, the one for August, and I can't see a Chalmers listed as flying in that month; of course there are any number of reasons he might not have been on ops that August but still on the squadron, however a good bet might be a month in the spring and one in the autumn if you're not sure of exactly when in 1942 he flew with 37. Good luck!

Cheers, Pat