Thread: Irish Army's Air Corps Parachute Incident October 20th 1938 Gloster Gladiator

Thanks

Default Irish Army's Air Corps Parachute Incident October 20th 1938 Gloster Gladiator

I hope Jagan can allow me to request some info about non RAF aircraft and aircrew - It is about a Gloster Gladiator and I know there are a number of Irish experts on this site

Friday 21 October 1938 , Northern Whig , Antrim, Northern Ireland

EIRE AIR CRASH.
    Pilot Escapes by Parachute.

An Eire Army fighter aeroplane crashed near Baldonnel Aerodrome yesterday, but no one was hurt. It crashed at Kingswood, near the Bathcoole road.
    The plane was wrecked, but Pilot Higgins, the only occupant jumped out his parachute Just before the crash and escaped without
    injury. The spot where the accident occurred is a short distance from the aerodrome, and mechanics from the aerodrome were busy during
    the afternoon, clearing away the wreckage. The plane was flying at a considerable height when the engine developed some defect. Immediately afterwards it fell towards the earth, the pilot just having time to jump by parachute. Immediately it was noticed that the plane was in difficulty
    an ambulance was rushed from the aerodrome, but it was not required.

This would be Gloster Gladiator #23 which was delivered to Baldonnel Aerodrome, 9.3.38. To No. 1 Army Co-Operation Squadron. Crashed near Baldonnel Aerodrome and “written-off”, 20.10.38.

OK - But can anyone fully identify who the pilot 'Higgins' was thanks

This would be the first use of a parachute (that I am aware of) in Ireland in "real life"

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks

Paul

The Dundee Evening Telegraph reports the incident briefly on October 21st, and gives the pilot as Lt. M. Higgins. Not much more, I'm afraid, but at least a bit more information.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 17th March 2016 at 12:13. Reason: typo

Thanks

Methinks

In August 1933 a cadetship competition was held and 39 candidates sat the Civil Service Commission examination though only nine passed to the required standard. Of these seven failed the medical examination and one failed to impress the interview board. The single successful candidate, Cadet Malachi Higgins, was to complete his Cadet School training during 1934 and commence flying training in 1935, with the succeeding class

http://www.military.ie/overseas/history/

Thanks

Maybe the same man mentioned here a couple of times:

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ency-75-years&

There's a Malachi Higgins on ancestry.co.uk's Irish Civil Registration Births Index, registered in Lurgan during the period of Jan-Feb-March 1915.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon

I have no doubt it is same man

He was 2nd Lt Malachi Higgins at the time of the incident, he was only promoted to Lt the following October

Thanks

Paul