Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copies of Sqn ORBs

Thanks

Default Copies of Sqn ORBs

Other than the National Archives does anyone know where additional copies of Sqn Operational Record Books are held? I have the full ORB for 78 Sqn from the National Archives but some of the months are unreadable, is there a chance that a better copy exists?

thanks

Daz

Thanks

Hello Daz,
    What months are you having trouble with?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce

Various months, the one I was looking at was July 43. I purchased the entire ORB some years before the TNA digitised the records and have just paid to download one of the months which are unreadable on my copy and although it is split into two parts online it is readable. So I guess they have digitised a better version. I'll have to look through and check what other months I have which are dodgy and then look at what is online.

Daz

Thanks

DAZ,

Your box is full. Want to send you a message. Do you have email for that? Thanks
    Adriano

Thanks

Adriano

should be ok to message me now.

thanks

Daz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78SqnHistory View Post
    Bruce

Various months, the one I was looking at was July 43. I purchased the entire ORB some years before the TNA digitised the records and have just paid to download one of the months which are unreadable on my copy and although it is split into two parts online it is readable. So I guess they have digitised a better version. I'll have to look through and check what other months I have which are dodgy and then look at what is online.

Daz
    The original ORBs on CD that most of us ordered were digitised from the Microfilm (which in turn seems to be made from photographs).

The more recent ORB downloads seem to come from the original photograph.

(ORB on CD on left, ORB via Download on right)

Thanks

Jagan,
    I agree, which may cause a couple of red-faces at Kew. I have been told by Kew staffers that where records were microfilmed, including ORBs, the originals are now 'gone'. Yet here we have the relatively recently produced PDFs of what appears to be original documents. The explanation may be that the photographs from which the microfilms were made were then archived and re-used to produce the scans in the PDFs, but that they are not available to the public. I am pressing the point with the powers that be at Kew because if this is the case, I want access to the other photos in that archive to try to salvage something of the AIR 51 MAAF (Mediterranean Allied Air Forces) history which is microfilmed and so bad it is virtually useless. Natuaraly this will also affect other microfilmed records such as those giving Daz headaches.

I will announce any successes.

Bruce

Thanks

Hi Bruce

I am also very interested in the AIR51 material and would be very pleased to hear about your progress. However my interpretation of the AIR51 material is that, rather than bring all the paper home, the MAAF files were microfilmed in Italy or wherever they were kept at the end of war. So what we are seeing at Kew is a photographic copy of the old microfilm... I wish you luck the last time I asked what was happening to AIR51 the staff I asked did not have a clue what I was talking about...

Daz re your original question you do know that you can still get the original paper ORB documents? If you can show that the copy is poor they will bring them up for you but you have to request them at the desk in the Document Reading Room.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    The version I heard was the same, but it was speculation. The flaw in the story is that the History of the MAAF was written and printed, and part of the series survives at Hendon. Unless all that research and writing was done in North Africa then the story can't be quite as simple as we have been told. But, then again, I have been told I am hard headed.

Bruce

Thanks

As far as I know, all the documents like ORBs or PCRs which were microfilmed, are still held by TNA, but not accessible without any serious reason, and possibly stored off site. Jagan, is the quality of original picture satisfactory? There is a number of photos in ORBs or appendices, but the quality was quite poor in reproductions.
    Regarding MTO files, are not they (AIR51) available in other Commonwealth countries? Usually documents were produced in a number of copies and distributed, so there are several copies of ORBs around.