Thread: V A Carter RAF 1939 - 1945

Thanks

Default V A Carter RAF 1939 - 1945

I Hope I am in the right area, this is my first ever post!!
    I am Researching V A Carter. Airman P/O, F/O, Flt/Lt RAF. Service No. 85966
    After OTU, P/O Carter was posted to flying duties with 615 Sqn [Hurricanes Coded KW] He was then Posted to 607 Sqn [A/C Codes AF] at Tangmere, then to Turnhouse and later to Acklington.
    He was then posted to 258 Sqdn [A/C Codes FH] at Drem and various other stations like Jurby I.O.M

On 27 March 1941 Pilot Officer Carter was posted to 403 Sqn (RCAF). [A/C Codes KH]. It was here that he flew in American P40 Tomahawks. The sqdn then converted to Spitfires..

403 Squadron ORB’s provided a good deal if information on the flying record of P/O Carter. Then on the 7th of July 1941 just a small mention at the end of a paragraph…
    “P/O Carter posted to OTU”. No mention of where or why or what for!!!

Have spent a great deal of money at the National Archives on Sqn ORB's but am stumped now! Where do I go next ? its a total brick wall, Did he go for further training ? Was he posted to “Instructor Duties” ? which OTU would he have most likely been sent to? Any advice would be most welcome.
    I know he survived the war, He was promoted Flying Officer in Sept ’41 and Flt Lt. in Sept ’42. He then re-mustered to Admin Branch and got married in 1943. He passed away in 1981.
    Can anyone help me as to where to go next to fill the gap between July 1941 and Sep 1942 ?
    I cannot apply to the RAF for his service record as I am only a distant relative by Marriage and the whereabouts of his logbook is unknown.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Al Coutts

Thanks

Al, Hi,
    You can apply for his Service Record. As non-NoK you won't get the full works, but you will get his Postings. From these you will be able to search TNA for ORBs, etc, or get others on this Forum to examine their databases for yr guy!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

He joined 58 OTU on July 12th 1941. I have no further trace of him.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Thanks guys!!! sooooo quick I only posted a couple of hours ago.
    Very grateful for info and advice from both
    Many Thanks
    Al Coutts

Thanks

Al,

If you are unaware of the procedure for obtaining a service record go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records. For someone who survived the war but died more than 25 years ago you will also require a copy of the person's death certificate.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you again for all the info Gent's.
    Is there any other source of info other than NA for 58 OTU Grangemouth ? NA tell me the initial cost is £8.50 for a search of the ORB's and cannot guarantee any success but will levy a further charge [Price unknown according to them] for information found! I understand they have to do this for such things as overheads and staffing etc but I hesitate to allow payment for anything unseen. I am not a tightwad, I have already spent a lot of money on ORB's with them but draw the line at an open ended monetary transaction for records sight unseen and almost a months wait!!
    So if any of you chaps have a resource you can access that will get me info on Pilot Officer VA Carter 745884 (RAFVR) (I gave the wrong service number in my initial post) on what his duties were at 58 OTU and beyond, between July 1941 and Sept 1942 I would be eternally grateful.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Al Coutts

Thanks

You will find no more about him in the 58 OTU ORB than his arrival date, I'm afraid. He was posted as Instructor.

The service number in your first post (85966) is the one he got after his commision. Before that he was 745884 (non-commisioned - NCO)

John

Thanks

Hello

I can only confirm what John says.

Al, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the pages for July and August 1941 for no. 58 O.T.U. Not much, but you'll see his name in the summary of postings in, "for instructor duties". my e-mail is in my profile (click on my name in blue, in the upper left corner).

Joss