Thread: LAC Sidney William Ward

Thanks

Default LAC Sidney William Ward

My wife would like to track down the records for her father, who died when she was quite young; her mother also died many years ago. We have very little info to go on and, while it may just be me, I've found the sites - National Records Office, RAF, etc - taking me round in circles. So I was very happy to find this forum; I've had a good look through it and have to say it feels like a very good community, so many thanks to the owners and the people who contribute.

This is what we've ascertained so far, mostly from scribbles on the back of snapshots.

Name: Sidney William Ward
    Date of Birth: June 14, 1922
    Service No 1614300
    Base: Kirkham, Lancashire
    RAF trade: Gunner

Served in South East Asia Armed Forces from December 12, 1944 to March 27 1946, and British Commonwealth Occupation Forces Air Station Iwakuni, Japan from March 28, 1946 to September 3, 1946. I found a list of units based at Iwakuni but couldn't figure out which one he might have been assigned to. She has a feeling (no more than that) he had spent time driving and maintaining lorries. He worked as a garage car mechanic before the war.

Obviously, if they still exist, we'd like to get copies of his records, but their location seems to depend on us knowing more detail than we have.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Highmac264, Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Yr man's Enlisted Service Number indicates that he Enlisted, in UK (precise location not known) between Apr-Oct 1941 (age c.19 yrs).
    His Service Record is available from Disclosures at RAF Cranwell. Go to https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records and follow the instructions as they may apply to you. Will cost you 30 and take a few months to appear (there are variations for the degrees of NoK). His Service Record will give you all his postings (Unit/where/when). It will be full of confusing RAF shorthand, acronyms, abbreviations, etc, etc. There are many, on this forum, who have been deciphering these same for many years. They will help - never fear!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many, many thanks. I had to Google NoK to learn Next of Kin :)

However, I look forward to being back with questions when we get the documents. Thanks again.