Thread: Pilot Officer Idris Trevarthen Garrett (RAFVR 106648) - Shot down in Tunisia ?

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Idris Trevarthen Garrett (RAFVR 106648) - Shot down in Tunisia ?

Good morning to all.

I am looking for information about Pilot Officer (later F/O) IDRIS TREVARTHEN GARRETT (RAFVR 106648), who may have claimed 1 or 2 victories against Bf 109 in the Tunisian Campaign, before being shot down. He apparently made a belly landing and managed to return back to Allied lines. He seems to have been a fighter pilot, probably on Spitfires or Hurricanes.

Have tried to find the Squadron he flew on...but got no joy...
    Former RAFVR 1290246 > promoted to Pilot Officer rank on the 11th September 1941 and to F/O rank on 11th September 1942..no further details.

He may have finished the war in England, as a Flight Instructor on some O.T.U.

ANY information related to this airman is most welcomed.

Adriano Silva Baumgartner (researching the Brazilian Volunteers in RFC and RAF Service, WW1 and WW2 period)
    baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br

Thanks

Adriano

Apologies if you know all this already, and nothing to do with his service career, but he was born on May 3rd 1916, in South America (presumably Brazil, given your interest?). He died on May 29th 1982 at Cobham, Surrey.

His marriage to Edwina Aileen Hole-Baker, B.Sc. was announced in the Portsmouth Evening News, April 2nd 1942. He is described as "Pilot Officer Idris Trevarthen Garrett, R.A.F.V.R., only son of Mr. and Mrs. David T. Garrett, of Rio de Janeiro."

He is listed in the UK Incoming and Outgoing Passenger lists on ancestry.co.uk several times, the only one during the wartime period being his arrival in the UK from Buenos Aires on September 24th 1940, aged 24, aboard the ship 'Highland Brigade'. The next time he is listed is June 1950, when he sailed for Rio de Janeiro on the ship 'Brazil Star'.

Regards

Simon

EDIT: Might he be the same I T Garrett mentioned here, with 154 Sqn on Operation Jubilee:

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/15372.php

If he is, the National Archives seems to have his combat report:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D7443621
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 1st April 2016 at 13:03.

Thanks

F/O I.T. Garrett of 232 Squadron (based at Souk el Khemis) was shot down by a Me109 on April 25th 1943 and crash-landed close to German lines in Spitfire Vb ER603.

He flew with 154 Squadron from at least December 1941 and joined 232 Squadron on April 22nd 1943. No trace after June 1943.

John Engelsted
    Last edited by JohnE; 1st April 2016 at 17:17.

Thanks

Simon and John,

I do have no words to express my gratitude! You gave me a true NORTH!
    It seems that, on his last combat, he may have claimed at least one Bf 109 G down...I ''will check it out.
    Thank you so much indeed for the references and information, which will be a start for his biography on that tribute to ALL Brazilian airmen that flew for the RAF.
    Adriano S. Baumgartner