Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian EFTS records F/Lt George Edward Ferguson 83215 RAFVR

Thanks

Default Canadian EFTS records F/Lt George Edward Ferguson 83215 RAFVR

George Ferguson held a private pilots licence pre war.
    He was commissioned into the RAF 1940 and sent to Canada possibly at Swift Current where he qualified and subsequently became an instructor.
    He was serving at 16 EFTS Edmunton, 32 EFTS Bowden (August 1941) and 39 SFTS Swift. I believe 32 EFTS in fact became 39 SFTS.

At an unknown time F/Lt Ferguson was forced to parachute from an aircraft during instructing and became a member of the Caterpillar Club.

I would be most appreciative of any guidance as to the possibility of locating any Canadian records 'should they exist' of these training schools in the hope of tracing Ferguson.

It is possible that he was injured in some way because he was later transferred between branches to Admin & Special Duties Branch in Feb 1944 where he served as Acting Squadron Leader in No.5203 Plant Squadron, 5353 Wing 1944 1945.

This is an unusual service any help from the Canadian experts would be warmly received.

Thanks

16 EFTS at Edmonton (note spelling) records have not been made available on line, as far as I can tell. This School was only open about 18 months, perhaps its record are mixed in with a subsequent unit, but I haven't found them yet.

32 EFTS at Bowden: http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...ac_reel_c12340 , probably starting around image #300. This School closed in September 1944, at which time the commercially run aerodrome became RCAF Station Bowden, used to store surplus aircraft.

39 SFTS at Swift Current: http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...ac_reel_c12357 , probably starting about the middle of the reel. Closed in March 1944, the aerodrome become RCAF Detachment Swift Current, used to store surplus aircraft.

Thanks

Bill.
    A big thank you for this, I will delve in and enjoy trying to trace any reference to this Pilot. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    16 EFTS at Edmonton (note spelling) records have not been made available on line, as far as I can tell. This School was only open about 18 months, perhaps its record are mixed in with a subsequent unit, but I haven't found them yet.
    Colin and Bill,
    No.16 EFTS records are in reel no. C-12336, images 606 to 700.

[URL="http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_c12336/1?r=0&s=1"]

Hope this helps, Tony

Thanks

Thank you so much Tony. And right in front of 16 EFTS is 14 EFTS, another one that I thought was missing. Just out of order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    Thank you so much Tony. And right in front of 16 EFTS is 14 EFTS, another one that I thought was missing. Just out of order.
    Bill,
    I find they are not all filmed in a logical order. I am using reel C-12337 which includes the records of EFTS Nos.5, 6, 7, 9, and 10. However, these are not all arranged in in order and I seem to recall the monthly reports for No.6 are confused still further.
    Tony

Thanks

Gents I am not doing very well with these reels.
    C12336 records 32 B & G School not No.16 EFTS and C12340 is not 32 EFTS but 36 EFTS.
    Is some register of kind available to assist with the reel contents or am I being rather stupid in understanding the system.
    The content is super but I am unable to locate my locations of 16 EFTS 32 EFTS and 39 SFTS sorry to pester but I do need some guidance.
    Thanks Colin.

Thanks

Colin,
    I think the problem is simply that you are not going to the right page.
    C-12336 - Image Nos. 606 to 700. The reel starts with a few frames from #31 B&G School. On the left hand side of your screen you should find a drop-down image list - click on o the downward pointing arrow and then on Image 606 and the first page of #16 EFTS records will open up.
    C-12340 - Image Nos. 102 to 578. L.H. side of your screen, click on the drop-down box arrow and find Image No 102, then click that and the first record of No.32 EFTS. Bowden will appear in the main screen.

It is a brilliant system, it just takes a little time to learn how to navigate your way around it and find the records you need. Incidentally, I do not find the search system works very well.
    Tony

I purchased a number of these reels for my own research and now I can see them all, and a lot more, for free!
    Last edited by Freshman; 3rd April 2016 at 16:12.

Thanks

Each reel can contain records for several units, not necessarily in numerical or chronological order. I'm trying to assemble a finding guide, see https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sxry9e0yn...1_06.xlsx?dl=0 , and always welcome any input.

Thanks

Gents these reels are most informative but difficult to pick information from. Having spent a few hours I found only a handfull of incidents where the Instructor took to his parachute and unfortunately for me my chap Ferguson was not in those I found. Some months were well detailed with accident summaries, of which there were many, whilst others not so. I might try again but my date fields were accessed, should anybody fall upon his accident detail I would be most pleased to know.
    This proves that the forum works in helping in many areas of research, thank you for the help with this one....