Thread: Was there a night of the condors?

Thanks

Default Was there a night of the condors?

I am writing a gratis feature for the local paper on the May Blitz of Merseyside in 1941. In the back of my mind I recall that I was once told FW Condors made their maiden bombing runs over Merseyside at that time. Can any members confirm please? robin bird

Thanks

I have done a rapid search of "The Blitz - Then and Now" and can find no FW Condors mentioned in the list of enemy participation. The last mention of a Condor was one which crashed off the Shetlands at the end of April and the Index shows no mention of the type in the month of May.

I stress this is just a quick scan of one source and a more thorough search is needed.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

thank you Colin. The Condor raid I had in my mind was on August 28 night 1940 on Birkenhead and Liverpool docks, Condors of Gruppe Kampgeschwader 40? robin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robin bird View Post
    thank you Colin. The Condor raid I had in my mind was on August 28 night 1940 on Birkenhead and Liverpool docks, Condors of Gruppe Kampgeschwader 40? robin
    Possibly not relevant to your immediate project but the thread caused me to look up my extracts from the ORB of No.31 SFTS., Kingston, Ontario (ex No.7 SFTS., Peterborough)....

"8.8.40
    First Echelon No.7 SFTS consisting of No.101 Party and No.108 Party and commanded by S/Ldr. Mc C. Gordon formed 29.8.40. Unit left Peterborough by rail for Liverpool; embarked R.M.S. ‘Duchess of Richmond’.
    Sailed for Mersey Bar, the ship anchored in the harbour roads during the hours of darkness.
    The port of Liverpool was attacked by enemy aircraft during the night and one stick of bombs fell close to the ship.
    No casualties or damage.

Tony

Thanks

Hello All,
    Was there any particular reason why 7 SFTS Peterborough(Westwood) was chosen to up-sticks and go to Canada? I am curious because I lived very near to that airfield and - at one stage - we had a WAAF billeted with us very early in WW2. My memory of 'when' is a bit vague - I was only 4 at the time!! I was told - later - that the WAAFs were billeted out while suitable accommodation for them was built on the airfield.
    Does anybody have any info?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 3rd April 2016 at 13:03. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    The Flying and Bombing Schools, OTUs., etc., in Canada numbered in the 30+ series were all started as RAF Schools, i.e, 31 EFTS., DeWinton, Alberta and No.31 Personnel Depot Moncton, New Brunswick - as examples. Some of these were established in the UK and transferred to Canada. No. 31 SFTS was one of these. Most were formed in Canada. They operated alongside the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan but I am not sure they were, fully, a part of it.

One of several advantages afforded by the BCATP and "RAF-Transferred" Schools was they they were not operating in combat theatre. No chance of being shot down by an intruder whilst flying a night training sortie - or by friendly fire and they did not clutter up the radar screens, etc. Though the winter weather was harsh, there was generally less of "even the birds are walking" conditions we are so used to in the UK! Finally, both Canadian and U.S. manufacturers supplied many of our trainer types - making it easier to supply and support these schools.
    Tony
    Last edited by Freshman; 3rd April 2016 at 16:05. Reason: remove typing error

Thanks

If anyone has not read it I recommend this as a primer....http://http://www.airmuseum.ca/refs/..._democracy.pdf