Thread: ATA Casualty Eric David Mills aged 24 28/06/1941

Thanks

Default ATA Casualty Eric David Mills aged 24 28/06/1941

A review of the Maidenhead Advertiser for 2nd July 1941 reveals that

2nd Officer Cadet Eric David Mills of ATA aged 24 and billeted at Maidenhead died as a result of injuries recieved on Sat 28th June 1941 when 2 aeroplanes collided at the Aerodrome (White Waltham).

He died of a fracture to the back of the skull and multipl injuries with death almost instantaneous.

He was having a flying lesson at the time and his instuctor Capt. Hampton (who was also seriously injured) and was still in hospital at the time of the original report.

Capt. Samuel George Kemp ATA Instructor said that at 10 am on Saturday, he was engaged on an instructional flght with a cadet (Philip Avory ATA). The cadet carried out the usual procedue prior to a landing and after running along the 'lane' for about 150 yards collided with another machine.

There is no clue as to the type of machines that were flown, does anyone know what types were used for training by the ATA at White Waltham in 1941 ?? Tiger Moths/Masters etc??

Avory said 'from the cockpit it was impossible to see anything immediatley in front or immediatley when one landed' - Fianlly there were 2 machines Mills and Hampton and one other that were in line with each other taxing just prior to the machine flown by Avory/Kemp colliding with Mills/Hampton

Thanks

Paul,

one of the a/c involved was Magister P2402.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

DaveW

Out of interest how did you confirm Magister P2402 - Air Britain has Shot Down by AA for this'

Regards

Paul

Thanks

Paul

I originally had a query for the area for this ex ABS. Later came your post here http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/18190.html
    which added Mills' name. His death registered at Maidenhead, so added that then the post of today linking him to the WW incident. BTW my copy of ABS (1996) has 'Cr 28/6/41 NFD'

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Thanks

BTW Air Britain Aeromilitaria has 'Crashed '- I realise where I got SDAA from - the line row above!!!!Blenheim IV V5755 opps! thanks

Should be P2402 Cr - Actually should be Coll now!