Thread: RAF Mustang 2, FR924

Thanks

Default RAF Mustang 2, FR924

This is my first post here.

I`am looking for more info on Mustang 2 FR924, RAF 2 squadron, this one went down, after possible hit by flak near or in the town of Gorinchem, Netherlands.
    There are a lot of questions for me on this, and need all the help that i can get.
    I understand that 2 squadron was a reconnaissance squadron, and flew the Mustang 2, equipped with the K24 camera kit.

There is not much info on this unfortunately,and some things are vague, or are incorrect.

My Questions are for the moment:
    1. The pilot for this day was, F/LT M.G Ridley - Mortimer, or F/LT M.G Ridley - Martin?? this is not sure for me, and yes I found out that more pilots flew FR924.
    2. From where was FR924 taken off this day, and if it is know, What was the assignment for that mission? or what it did september/october 1944
    3. if I am correctly, The Mustang 2, have the North American serial number 43-6217, RAF FR924, but what is the letter code for FR924??
    4. Is there more known what happened to FR924 when it was down and where exactly? , and whats happened to the pilot.This info is missing also missing in the archives of the town Gorinchem.
    5. Are there pictures of FR924, and the pilot?
    6. I know there was a possibility that FR924 was not alone on this flight, if so where there other 2 squadron aircrafts for this mission?
    Or flew they always alone in pairs or other else?

Further I know of the book to read by Hans Oudewater Second to None, also some books from Osprey like the Allison engined Mustang where FR924 is mentioned in.
    But can someone advise me, for other good books for the RAF Mustang 2, or RAF 2 squadron.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=49738

With best regards and thank you,
    Dennis
    Last edited by crazy apache; 6th April 2016 at 14:18.

Thanks

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C14078871

Flight Lieutenant Michael Grey RIDLEY-MARTIN. (47442),

Thanks

Dennis

In British aircraft nomenclature FR924 was a Mustang II ie P-51A as you say the American serial was 43-6217 . The aircraft was lost on 11 October 1944 and as Paul McMillan has said the pilot was F/Lt M G Ridley-Martin DFC. On 11 October 2Sqn were based at ALG B.61 St Denis-Westrum but on 12 October they moved to ALG B.70 Antwerp-Deurne. 2Sqn was a Tactical Reconnaissance (Tac/R) squadron and usually pilots flew in pairs; 2Sqn despatched eleven 2 man pairs on 11 October.

The 2 Sqn Operations Record Book tells us Ridley-Martin was flying with F/Lt R G West (FR931) they took off at 1718 hours and West landed back at 1812 hours. The recce was in the "Area Antwerp-Tilburg. Gorinchem saw ferry boat or tug across the stream and encountered intense light flak. Canal from D9760 - E2860 meagre inaccurate light flak over area. No 1 (Ridley-Martin) hit flak Gorinchem 4000ft seen crashed D7309. No 2 hit tree Gorinchem landed base safely. F/Lt Ridley-Martin missing."

To decipher these co-ordinates you need to go to http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-welcome.php click Modified British System select map that includes the Netherlands and search using qD9760, qE2860, qD7309.

The link that Paul McMillan has posted indicates that Ridley-Martin was made PoW.

I cannot help with any other questions. I do not know the code letter of the FR924. As you may know Hans Onderwater is Dutch he has written the 2Sqn history "Second to None" and I believe he is still active in recording the 2Sqn history he may be able to help further.

Steve

Thanks

Many Thanks Steve and Paul for all the help.

I`am now a little bit further with my questions about FR924, i also found a local Dutch air protection service day report.
    From 11 October 1944 in the town off Gorinchem, there where also noted about flight movements and flak defenses are listed, at the time when FR924 was above Gorinchem.
    See the page, that i found http://i67.tinypic.com/2ypdahf.png there was also spoken about 4 aircrafts.
    What Steve tells is, 2Sqn despatched eleven 2 man pairs on 11 October 1944. Is it known what the assignment was for this missions?
    Which planes participated in this mission ( which FR numbers or when possible letter code`s), or known which pilots participating in this mission and flew this day, and where they all 2 squadron for this?
    Is known which letter code F/Lt R G West (FR931) had on his aircraft?, and did F/Lt R G West, more sorties on Gorinchem?

What strikes me is that around 11 October 1944, more than one kind of similar actions have been in Gorinchem. Trains or boats shot. And in the daily reports of the air protection service is that, with regularity aircraft 2 or 4 as a pair have been seen in the air above Gorinchem. My Question where those aircraft off 2sqn?

Is the Call sign for 2 sqn XV, or what does it means? fuselage number????

Is there more known about F/Lt M G Ridley-Martin DFC, because he was POW, or know about him after the war?
    And is there more known about F/Lt R G West ?

Thanks

Crazy, Hi,

Some rather 'odd' records from the LG:-

First name(s) M G Last name Ridley-Martin
    Year 1941
    Service number 47442
    Unit or Regiment 2 Sqn RAF
    Rank Flight Lieutenant
    TNA series WO208 Series name POW - Escape report TNA piece number 3351

The undermtd. are granted the rank of Sqn. Ldr. (war subs.): —
    29th Nov. 1943.
    M. G. RIDLEY-MARTIN (47442).

Air Ministry, 19th May, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Flight Lieutenant Michael Grey RIDLEY-MARTIN (47442), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
    No. 170 Squadron.

Clearly the same bloke (same Service Number - 47442) - but the dates and ranks don't look right?
    Nothing in The Times Archive on him up to 2000. Some other branch(es) of the family were much into Fencing, and some were active in the City of London in the finance area.

RIDLEY - MARTIN MICHAEL GREY born 7 Sep 1914 died Q1 2001 England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 South Hams, Devon, England (Reg Dist 4171, Vol 6, Entry 175).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 12th April 2016 at 12:24. Reason: QSD and BD info
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Dennis

You need to go to the National Archives website and buy a copy of the Operations Record Book (ORB) for October 1944 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8406393 it will cost you 3.45 and it will answer some of the questions you ask.

The eleven operations on 11 October were not made all at the same time but through the day. The first pair were airborne at 0655 and the last two pairs were airborne at 1718. The ORB shows that there was another pair in the air at the same time as Ridley-Martin and West but they were operating in a different area "Rotterdam-Utrecht" as far as I can tell there is no indication that they were operating over Gorinchem. Early in the war 2Sqn used the code letters 'XV' but that was discontinued before the end of 1942 and from that point the aircraft carried just a single code letter.

It seems clear that Ridley-Martin evaded capture and he returned to 2Sqn on 28 October 1944.

I can't help with any other questions.

Steve

Thanks

Gents

Second to None, the Onderwater book mentioned below has this to say:

" The only casualty of the month was F/L Ridley-Martin DFC, who was shot down by flak near Gorinchem in Holland on 11th October. He made one of the fastest evasions in the history of the Squadron. Ridley-Martin was found by the Resistance and hidden before there were any Germans in sight. The leader of the LO-group, a resistance organisation that mainly dealt with people who had a reason to hide, kept the pilot in a safe house. There he stayed with a small group of Allied airmen, Lt Col Frebe, Major Cannon and 1st Lt Otto Smek of the USAAF. Without much problem Ridley-Martin stayed in the village of Wermhout until it was liberated on 27th October, He returned to the squadron one day later."

DaveW

Thanks

Dennis,

From what I can gather 2nd TAF and ADGB, had been restricted operationally for a few days leading up the 11th, which is when the weather improved and all of the air forces where active in and around the Breskens/Costburg/Tilburg/Bergen Op Zoom areas. 430 Squadron sent 18 Mustangs over the areas during the day carrying out Tac/Rec and P.R. missions. I am not up to speed on the ground forces but I would imagine with the improved weather the "eyes in the skies" were pressed into service on a massive scale.

Stephen