Usual request please if someone could be so kind:

Base;

Aircraft Flown;

Serial No and Code;

Possible Crash site.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

236 Squadron were based at Oulton and were equiped with Bristol Beaufighters VIF
    Beaufighter X8088 is listed in Air Britain RAF Aircraft as Missing from shipping strike off Texel, 24.7.42.
    P/O Paul Osborne Webster RCAF was also killed on 24.7.42
    Andy

Thanks

'They Shall Grow Not Old' confirms that P/O Webster was killed when his Beaufighter crashed in the sea off Scotland. It states that the RAF navigator was also killed.
    Andy

Thanks

Hello,

Sgt. Lewis' Flying Log Book records for the 24/7/42 that he took-off at 16.55 in Beaufighter 'X' with F/S. Webster as Pilot. They were based at Wattisham at the time transferring from Sumburgh on the 2/7/42. Remarks in the Log Book for the 24th state "Recco - Reported missing". The previous 3 sorties are recorded as "Dutch coast. recco. Tershelling - Ymuiden".

Sgt. Gilbert Ronald Lewis grew up in the small Pembrokeshire village of Lampeter Velfrey near Narberth. In November 1941 he was stationed with 236 squadron at RAF Carew Cheriton only 6 miles from his home. His Log Book was given to me by his brother who taught me art at Greenhill School Tenby.

Regards

Deric Brock.
    RAF Carew Cheriton research.

Thanks

Hi all,
    Can the take off time for the four Beaufighters be confirmed as 16.55 from Sgt Lewis's log book, this I presume would have been written up by someone other than Sgt. Lewis, I neglected to note the take off time in the ORB.
    Many thanks
    Tony K
    Last edited by Tony Kearns; 20th June 2014 at 13:19.

Thanks

Hello Tony,

Yes you are correct, someone other than Sgt. Lewis entered the final sortie in his Log Book. It is interesting to note that all other entries of the pilot are recorded as Sgt. Webster, however, the rank of Flight Sergeant appears in the last entry.

Regards
    Deric.

Thanks

Many thanks Deric, Sgt Lewis’s pilot P/O Paul Webster had escaped from internment in Ireland. His Blenheim V5728 had force landed on the sea off the south coast of Ireland 23 October 1941, hence my interest. He escaped from the Curragh Camp and returned to his squadron.He was appointed to Pilot Officer subsequent to his escape.
    Would it be possible to obtain a scan of the entry from Sgt. Lewis's logbook please?
    Regards
    Tony K
    Last edited by Tony Kearns; 22nd June 2014 at 11:28.

Thanks

Hello Tony,

P/O. Webster's aircraft was one of two Blenheims V5728 & Z6031 from 236 squadron lost from RAF Carew Cheriton on the 23/10/41.

Let me have your e-mail address and I will forward a copy of the page from Sgt. Lewis' Log Book.

Regards
    Deric.
    dericbrock@btinternet.com