Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S/L George Cannon Pinkerton 90160 - DFC - looking for information

Thanks

Default Re: S/L George Cannon Pinkerton 90160 - DFC - looking for information

I have two photographs of him on the same row as my grandfather and the photograph has MSFU SPEKE March 1943. He is marked as Wing commander Pinkerton DFC. My grandfather was Charles Brook and I was researching him and cannot find any information or records so was looking up the names of people who clearly served with him and saw your post.
    I can't tell you any information apart from the date
    Pinkerton is the one on the chair in the middle of the front row.

Thanks

I have a photograph of Pinkerton with my grandfather Charles Brook

He is in the middle of the front row on the chair. This was taken March 1943 at MSFU Speke. He was a Wing Commander at that point.

Thanks

Hello

With regards to his farming career, the Hampshire Telegraph of December 1st 1939 reported his D.F.C. and describes him as:

Sqdn Leader George Cannon Pinkerton, A.A.F. (30), fruit farmer, of South Mains, Houston, near Bridge of Weir, near Glasgow.

A further snippet of background from The Scotsman, September 10th 1941:

Squadron Leader George Cannon Pinkerton, D.F.C., a Paisley fruit farmer, who won the D.F.C. for his part in bringing down the first German raider over Scotland, has been promoted a Wing Commander (temporary).
    Well known as a racing motorcyclist, he and his brother competed on many dirt tracks in Scotland and England in peace-time.*

And finally, from the Birmingham Evening Post, November 19th 1939:

Flight Lieutenant Pinkerton is thirty. He was born at Rutherglen, Glasgow, and educated at Glasgow High School. He was given a commission in a Glasgow Auxiliary Squadron in 1933 and was promoted to Flight Lieutenant last year. He was called from his civilian occupation during the crisis. He is a fruit farmer at South Mains, Houston, Renfrewshire. For about ten years or more he has been flying, first as a member of Renfrew Flying Club and from 1935, when he was given a commission, in an auxiliary squadron in the A.A.F. He has been married two years.

Regards

Simon

* EDIT - Glasgow Museum of Transport has his 1929 Douglas speedway bike as part of its collection.
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 10th January 2021 at 18:30.
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England