Thread: production list with serial of motors

Thanks

Default production list with serial of motors

Hi,

does anybody know where I can find Vickers Wellington production lists of Vickers Blackpool showing the serials of the engines of each aircraft? A Hercules XI has been installed.

Thanks.

Best

Marcel

Thanks

Hi Marcel, I am afraid there is not available such a list for Wellington, even for other planes.
    I have not seen such a documents in TNA Kew where I would expect it, otherwise it might be stored in the museum of the producer but I think there is not such a museum.
    The last thing I would suggest is to contact the Brooklands museum (where Wellingtons were also produced) if they will be give you any useful advice.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello

Another complication is that engines (not motors, Marcel) could be changed during the life of an airframe. And I've the experience of engine changes after a very very short time. For example a Hurricane lost with less than 10 flying hours didn't have the Merlin III engine that was noted on the form 78, as fitted on the production line. Either a clerical error, or a standard exchange.

Do you have the form 78 (aircraft movement card) of the Wellington you are researching. Quite often (not always), the form 78 records the engine(s) number(s). There are also some documents which list the serial numbers of engines of crashed planes, like the form 1180 (accident cards, which doesn't fit your case, I presume), or reports sent to "P4 cas" by Squadrons, to report losses. I have for example one for a Lancaster, which gives the 4 engines Air Ministry numbers and makers numbers.

As suggested by Pavel, you might try Brooklands, but may be you could also try Bristol, as the makers of the Hercules XI engines. Rolls-Royce has kept some production archives, but has unfortunately destroyed many documents postwar, when their historical value hadn't been understood. There's a slight chance that Bristol may have some information.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 22nd April 2016 at 17:06.

Thanks

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

I have not thought about the engines being changed quite often. Thanks for the hint.

I have been told by Rolly Royce that they do not have such lists. The moving card does not show the numbers.

Best wishes
    Marcel