Thread: Pre-War RAFVR Service Number Allocation

Thanks

Default Pre-War RAFVR Service Number Allocation

All

I wonder if the analysis of the allocation of pre-war RAFVR Personnel Service Number's tell us where they trained

I found this out today.

Saturday 10 June 1939 , Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph , Lincolnshire, England

Two members of the R.A.F. Volunteer Reserve were injured when the aeroplane in which they were flying crashed near Lode, Cambs., yesterday. They are Sergeant Geoffrey Edward Bray (22) , of Cambridge, and Sergeant Frederick John Elliott Stearn.

Sergeant Geoffrey Edward Bray was #741335
    Sergeant Frederick John Elliott Stearn was 741336

They were both in Tiger Moth N6643 of 22 ERFTS which hit a tree while overshooting Cambridge on 9th June 1939

Notice the Service Numbers are consecutive

I wonder if the Service Numbers were allocated at 22 ERFTS from a Batch List allocated to the Unit ??? Or would R.A.F. Volunteer Reserve been to another unit before hand ??

If so I wonder if other ERFTS had batches of numbers ??

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul

I would have thought that they would have joined the RAFVR at a Town Centre prior to commencing flying training so the numbers would have been allocated at that point with batches being allocated to the Town Centre rather than the EFTS.

Malcolm

Thanks

Paul/Malcolm,
    Agree Enlistment (early in 1937, and subsequent kitting, basic drill, etc, etc) at a Town Centre, in The Drill Hall (which many towns had). Bray's birth was Reg in King's Lynn - so Cambridge was probably the EFTS that served King's Lynn. Can't find Stearn's birth reg on the 'usual' BMD sites, but it would seem a fair bet (using some of your money!) that they Volunteered/Enlisted at the same time/place - prob King's Lynn?!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 13th April 2016 at 11:05.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!