Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1663 hcu orb 1941-1945

Thanks

Default 1663 hcu orb 1941-1945

Please can anyone tell me where I can purchase a copy of the Operations Records for 1663 HCU?

I have bought some of the downloads for 10 Squadron (1944-45) from the National Archives website, but the only link on the NA website that I have found relating to 1663 HCU is not available to buy and download. (Plus it is only from 1941 to 1942)

Thank you in advance,

Dorothy

Thanks

Hello Dorothy,
    Welcome to the forum. The file at The National Archives in Kew that covers 1663 Conversion Unit is AIR 29/613. The description reads:

1663 Conversion Unit. Formed at Rufforth (UK) in March 1943.
    Date: 1943 Mar.-1944 Jan.

You can order from TNA via http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7160913 or follow the link below my signature.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Bruce

Thank you for your very quick reply! I will look into the link - thank you.

Dorothy

Thanks

Dorothy,
    Going via the N/A will cost you a small fortune. and if you are after information on someone who went from 1663 CU to 10 squadron, then you will not find the 1663 CU record book not very forthcoming with anything that will help you. CU and OTU records do not give the type of information that squadron ORB's do, but if you are still wanting to go down that route, i know a contact that can copy the ORB for a fraction of the cost that the N/A will charge you.

Thanks

Hi Dorothy
    I am researching a brother who was at 1663 H C U he went there 1 5 44 I have been trying to get any Info regarding 1663 for this period but with no
    success, I managed to get a copy of his Pilots log book and found out that the crew he was with did several missions from here, he finaly went on to 10 Squadron. There Is a very good book written by Brian Mennell called Wings Over York The History of Rufford Airfield, this contains many stories photos and quite a lot of Info about 1663,you have come to a great site of which members are dedicated they have helped me with Info In the past for which I thank them all.
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Many thanks for the information. I will look for the Wings Over York Book!
    Thank you.

Thanks

Thanks Alan. It might not be worthwhile getting the 1663 info from National Archives then. The Squadron Records were very informative!

Thanks

Dorothy,
    Not really, i have several HCU and OTU ORB's in my collection, and no mention of individual names unless there was a death/accident/injury reported,

Thanks

What do you need the ORBs for, Dorothy? It may be there is another way to approach your research.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Dorothy,

I'll second what Alan said - I have all the HCU ORBs that fed crews to 1 Group, and individuals, other than senior Officers on the strength of the HCU itself, are rarely mentioned. This of course means that crews transiting through the HCU as part of their training syllabus wont be found in the HCU ORBs. Some of the OTU ORBs have course photos, sometimes, which can be very interesting. As Brian has suggested, is there perhaps a different angle to approach your research from?

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945