Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POW terminology.

Thanks

Default POW terminology.

Hello all.

I recently met the daughter of my Uncles Flight Engineer, who escaped their downed Lancaster and was a POW at SL7.

I was given a copy of a document he wrote about escaping the aircraft and being captured etc.

There is is a term used on which I seek clarification
    Here we spent a night in solitary, were interrogated and sent by train to “Oberusel” to the well known “Dulag Luft”, the main RAF interrogation centre. I was here for 3½ days then some 90 of us were sent by train again to the Transit Camp near “Frankfurt” where we were kitted out with PX clothes etc.
    i might easily interpret PX as Part Exchange but I've seen American military style websites refer to this as Post Exchange and also Physical Examination.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
    Neil

Thanks

Dear Neil
    I believe that he is referring to the American term of PX being Post Exchange. The PX being their version of the NAFFI. POWs were issued with basic clothes and toileteries under the terms of the Geneva Convention as many were only in possession of what they were wearing when they left their aircraft. Depending on the stage in the war that they were captured, they were issued with a mix of clothing that the Germans had potentially captured, so RAF POWs may be wearing a pair of Polish Army trousers with a British Army greatcoat etc.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Thanks

Hi James,

Is suspected this might be the answer and explains a lot.

Thank you
    Neil

Thanks

Neil,

What other documents do you have?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickFenton View Post
    Neil,

What other documents do you have?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com
    Hi Nick,

This is Geoffrey Albert Berry - you very kindly got a copy of his POW exit questionnaire for me from Kew.
    That was before I had contacted his family. I have since done this, and as I mentioned, I met his daughter last week, to talk about him and see his memorabilia.
    Geoff died in October 2014 aged 91.
    I have a picture of his SL7 dog tag, and copies of various documents he collected including;
    His SL7 registration card - question: did they carry these around with them on camp? IE how would he come to have it post war
    An account on his escape from Lancaster ND867, his capture, passage to SL7 and the Long March
    A 1944-45 diary account
    A "RAF School for Prisoners of War" leaflet, though curiously that is from SL6 - not sure how he acquired that.
    A day by day account of when they were fed on the Long March
    His Log book, including entries post war when he was an AQM in the "VIP Squadron" at Bassingbourn in Dakotas

Kind regards
    Neil

Thanks

Hi Neil,

Of course. I think he would have 'liberated' his registration card from Luckenwalde but l have also seen these as having been sent to the POW's after the war when they became available, so not sure.

Sounds a fantastic set of information you have, well done. I would be interested in seeing the "RAF School for Prisoners of War" leaflet you mention.

Are you going to be putting the other stuff on any web sites?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

There were two registration cards as you call them. One was blue and the other brown. I understand the blue one came from Dulag Luft. The brown one was possibly put together at the camp. Both were kept in the German offices not given to the POW! Any cards that are still in existence were filched from the offices at the end of the war.

Thanks

Apart from those held at Kew, which l think are those from Dulag Luft, but l am pretty sure they are brown.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Dear Nick
    Do you have the file reference number for the Dulag Luft files at Kew?
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Yes, I would be interested in the reference as well. I have only seen the 'Returning Prisoner of War Questionnaire' which was a British document completed at the POW repatriation points. I was not aware the German Camp records were at Kew.