Thread: Flight Sgt Robert Gent 1594353 - CWGC shows a D.F.C.?

Thanks

Default Flight Sgt Robert Gent 1594353 - CWGC shows a D.F.C.?

Hello everyone

On the CWGC, the entry for this Flight Sgt has him being awarded the D.F.C.:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...GENT,%20ROBERT

Is this isn't correct? Being an N.C.O., did he have the D.F.M., or was he previously an officer, or is this a simple error? I can't find him on the LG website anywhere, and a couple of other online references to him don't refer to any award.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon, Hi,

Looks like a CWGC typo? He is probably:-
    Robert Gent. b. Q2 1921 d. 23 Feb 1945 Approach to Honiley in Halifax III NA656 of 644 Sqn.
    Enlisted 1594353 [Various centres block 1425001-1649900 Apr –Oct 1941] (aged 20).

But interestingly, Malcolm’s RAFWEB also notes 2 other cas for the same incident:-
    1580950 Flt Sgt James William Tomlinson, and
    1436641 Flt Sgt Walter Brooks.
    Neither of these latter 2 appear on the FREEBMD Vol/page that Gent appears on! I cannot find either of their Deaths on FREEBMD. Or is it just me? [No, it was me!! They're on the next page - but as Brook, not Brooks]

Honiley is 21 nm to port of a direct track Milltown-Tarrant Rushden so it is possible they were attempting a landing on Rwy 115?

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th April 2016 at 13:30. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Gent is commemorated on the Consett War Memorial, as well as on the memorial in Leadgate, where he is buried.

I have the following for NA656:

T/O Tarrant Rushton 18:16 hrs on SOE operation CURB III to Norway but no reception at the DZ 60.30.00N,10.42.30E
    Aircraft came down and broke up on the approach to Honiley Airfield in Leicestershire teatime and burnt after losing 3 of 4 engines while returning to Dorset after being diverted to Honiley via Milltown in Scotland. Take off from Milltown at 1507 hrs.

Brooks, Gent and Tomlinson killed, the pilot W/O J C Bailey and F/Eng F/Sgt M Miles unhurt, Air Bomber F/Sgt W R Gregory slightly injured.

Tomlinson is on FreeBMD - Tomlinson, James W, aged 22, registered Warwick, March 1945.

Can't find Brooks either though.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Can't find any reference to Gent in Maton.

As summarised above the loss is also recorded in "Though Without Anger".

Perhaps a check of Sandy Barr's website about 644 Sqn might reveal some more information but I think it possible ney probable that Gent did not have a DFM.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you Colin. I'll take a look at the 644 Sqn website, thanks for the pointer.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

You will see on the scanned register page that there is no DFC mentioned, send them a message via the website to review that online version.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis, that's very well spotted.

I've dropped them a message via their feedback form suggesting someone might review the web entry, so we'll see what happens.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

F/O J.E. Edgar (DFC) 149117 in the same churchyard has the DFC missing from his CWGC listing, I guess the two have been mixed up. http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...JOHN%20ANTHONY

Thanks

Credit where credit is due - I received a reply today from the CWGC, and they are going to instruct their Records Team to remove the DFC from Gent.

I've replied and suggested how the error crept in, thanks to Pete102, so hopefully they'll be able to correct both sets of online records.

Regards

Simon