Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88 Squadron Boston BZ419 F/O JS Lang DFC

Thanks

Default 88 Squadron Boston BZ419 F/O JS Lang DFC

Hi ,

Can anyone help , it concerns Boston BZ419 of 88 Sqd Shot Down by Flak on 9/8/44 nr Floret de Lyon Crew of 4 Killed

Pilot F/O James Spencer Lang 158322 DFC .
    Nav F/O JR Haynes 158422 DFC.
    A/G F/O K Jones 158403 DFC .
    W/Op F/O R Holmes 170099.

All Three DFC's were awarded as per LG on 11/8/44 .

Can any one tell me if these DFC's were awarded as a result of an action by this crew during the loss of this A/C or before ?

and can anyone tell me anymore about this loss or indeed the Crew prior service ? does anyone have the ORB for this Sqd ?

Thank you very much Phill Jones
    Last edited by Jagan; 29th March 2019 at 10:53.

Thanks

Hi Phill,

LG has them on No. 107 Squadron.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../3715/data.pdf

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hi Phill,

I have the ORB for 88 Squadron covering late May, June and early July 1944 and F/O. J. S. Lang is certainly with 88 Squadron during this period.

HTH,

Russ

Thanks

Thank you for your replies .

Interesting , Dave yes i did see the LG has the Three DFC holders on 107 Sqd and the CWGC has all four Crew on 88 Sqd could they have been on loan to 107 Sqd ???

Russ , does the ORB for 88 Sqd tell us when they joined 88 Sqd can i also ask how many ops did they fly ? any mention of them leaving ? attached ? any chance of copies of the ORB for 88 Sqd for the time this crew were with 88 Sqd

thank you very much Phill

Thanks

Hi Phill,

No problem, if you pm me your e mail address I will forward all the 88 Squadron orbs I have.

It will probably be tomorrow though.

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks

Hi Phil,
    88 Sqn ORB first seems to mention Lang, Haynes and Jones on 20th April 44 flying BZ336 against Noball XI/A/83. 6 Bostons of 88 and 6 of 342. Some of the aircraft that day only list 3 crew so presumably didn't carry the ventral gunner , and Lang is one of those.

No mention in the April write up of any crews joining or leaving 88, but I know that my own Father joined in April and is not mentioned, just suddenly appears on Ops. There are a few notes of joiners in the 88 ORB s but this doesn't seem to have been a priority with the ORB writer !!

107 Sqn converted to Mosquito VI in feb 44 so maybe Lang and crew were posted to 88 then or soon after.

MJF Bowyer in "2 Group RAF" mentions a Sergeant Lang, no initial regrettably, as being with 107 and records him accompanying the famous Wg Com England on a low level attack using cloud cover on Pont a Vendin power statin, July 1943. After bombing Lang was attacked by a Fw 190 but evaded by corkscrewing into cloud.
    Two 342 Bostons supposedly doing a similar thing that day, one turned back due no cloud and the second never seen again. Wg Com England and 107 seem to have done this kind of thing regularly so if Sergeant Lang is the same man then a DFC would not perhaps be surprising.
    regards
    Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 20th April 2016 at 14:31.

Thanks

Extra from the August ORB for 88..

Departed Hartfordbridge 1025 in aircraft P.

"Crew on bombing order briefed 0830, to attack ammunition dump at Foret de Lyons near Rouen............................intense accurate flak was encountered before target was reached and several aircraft in second box were hit. Aircraft "P" leading second box received direct hit on starboard wing bottom between engine and fuselage and went down in flames. No parachutes seen".

Second part of ORB also says flak encountered between Senarpoint and Aumale. Starboard wing fell off.

regards Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter ,

Thank you for this this is starting to add up a bit now , JS Lang was Comm from F/Sgt to P/O 16/8/43 ,so his flying with W/C England on 107 Sqd makes sense perhaps ? thank you for your input

Rgs Phill Jones

Thanks

HI, I have just joined the group and I live in Lyons La ForÍt. Can anyone tell me where this plane landed or crashed? I am interested in learning as much as I can about it and possibly making contact with relatives of the crew.

Thanks

Hi I have sent you an email

bw Phill