Thread: An incident after curfew in Yorkshire at an HCU

Thanks

Default An incident after curfew in Yorkshire at an HCU

Hi All,

Just dropped in to see what's been doing and thought of this story my father told me about his crew at an HCU, probably based at either Topcliffe or Dishforth in late 1944 or early 1945. He described how three of his crew were on one motorcycle returning from a night in the pub (of course!) and, not realizing they were past curfew, drove straight into the base gate, which had been closed. Some minor injuries were incurred. It was only years later that I realized this was probably the reason that my Dad's crew was held up in their training and had to redo their stint some time later. This delay kept them from joining an operational squadron as the war ended before they completed their course.

Can anyone tell me where a record of this incident might be kept? And, also, I have never compiled the names of the men in his crew, who he tried to keep in touch with over the years. I have his log books, but can't access them, or his service file at the moment.

As an aside... the other story my father told us was probably also related to this incident: When Dad tried to apply for a transfer to an operational squadron, he was told by his skipper - who grabbed him by the collar and slammed him into the wall of the Nissen hut - "you'll die soon enough, don't rush it - stick with your crew". He did, of course, which is why I am here to tell the tale.
    David

Thanks

Hi David interesting stories indeed!

As for the first story I would recommend to check the HCU - if you know the number - and also both stations ORBs - there might be at least some kind of note - but as always it depends how precise was the person compiling the records. Also might be useful to check the ORB of the station SSQ for both of them - if they are available in TNA - sometimes they are part of the station ORB.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pavel. I thought of the ORBs, but as this was not an operational incident, I figured there would be little in them. I can't imagine a base commander wanting this to get recorded for the boffins to see. But, perhaps he would have had to file a report in the other document you mention. According to my dad, one of the crew damaged his knee in the incident, so it might have rated a hospital notation in his file at the very least. Trouble is most of them were RAF, whereas Dad was RCAF. It might not be so easy to get the service files for his crew, if I can find their names in the ORBs, but I will start there.

From the Commands overview tables, I see that it was most likely 1664 HCU, based at Dishforth.
    David

Thanks

Hello

I'd suggest looking at station's ORBs (AIR 28 series at Kew), especially the station sick quarter's appendix. They may record a damaged knee in a motorcycle accident. Maybe...

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss, that sounds promising.

and good to hear from you... it's been a while, for me.
    David

Thanks

Hi again Joss,

I just looked up Dishforth in Air 28 index and there are two files 204 and 207, both covering the same time period. Do you know what the difference would be between them?
    David

Thanks

Hello

As far as I can tell, AIR 28/204 will be the Station ORB, but only starting from 1943 up to 1945, so covering the period you're seeking. That'd be my best bet.

AIR 28/207 is only appendices, like the teleprinter forms sent by HQ BC to prepare raids, form Ys and form Ds, etc... May also contain pictures of raids.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss,

It's a nuisance not being able to access my father's records at the moment, but on further searching, I see that Dishforth was the lesser station and Topcliffe was HQ for Six Group's 61 Base, so I will need to look at both.
    David