Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancaster Loss HOUFFALIZE 30-31/12/1944 ?

Thanks

Greg, thanks for that, had'nt realised i had so many messages, all deleted now.Will email you later today when i get in from work
    Cheers..
    Alan

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for the information on Merritt. It closes a chapter on PB759 That I thought we would never find. It looks to me that on all probabilities that the Ainsworth crew flew PB759 on 30 Dec 44, minus Ainsworth and plus Crampton.

Please see the 50-61 Forum for further details:

http://squadronforum.freeforums.org/post2642.html#p2642

Ken

Thanks

Hi Ken,

Glad to help, the Ainsworth crew seems correct as I had wondered why no one else was decorated for this action ! As the Ainsworth crew were later killed in action this makes some sense as most awards were for survivors. If the crew had completed their tour more decorations may have been recommended ?

Mark

Thanks

Just came across these details regarding a Caterpillar Club badge (Gordons Catalogue Spring 2001)

Named Gold Badge to a member of the Caterpillar Club: Flight Lieutenant Paul CRAMPTON DFC DFM 50 Sqn, Skellingthorpe, Lincs, and 61 Sqn
    With photograph of Squadron posed in front of Lancaster, with enlarged section of same image showing Crampton more clearly, with photo copied local paper article about him following his mention in Max Hastings 'Bomber Command' (1979) Copy of confidential Report from College Service Flying School from which he passed AA above average, in Natural Aptitude, and AA in night flying, 18 copied pages from his Pilots Log Books 1941-42, detailing his Operations incl raids on Emden, Dortmund, search for Scharnhorst, Osnabruch, Dusseldorf etc and 6 pages form log 1944 up to his wounding and baling out 'Dec 30th Operations on HOUFFALIZE. Shot up and wounded in leg A/C abandoned' Copies of citations for DFM 26th Dec 1942 and DFC 17th July 1945 - 450-00

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Another outstanding find and I guess someone has all this great information. A real co-incidence as we have recently been looking for a photograph of Crampton so I guess the search continues. It would also be very interesting to see what his logbook has for 30 Dec 44.

Ken

Thanks

Hello,

I just have a look on the graves photos at Houffalises
    4 members of 61 sqn are resting.
    Date 6 january 1945
    F/O P.B. Anderson Air Bomber NZAF
    F/O J.E. Sears Pilot RAF
    F/SGT G. Malcolm W.O. / A.G. RAF
    F/SGT M.W. Stobart Nav RAF

If needeed I can email the photos

Best regards