Thread: Accident Goupings A:B:C on Flying Accident Cards AM 1180 to end of 1941

Thanks

Default Accident Goupings A:B:C on Flying Accident Cards AM 1180 to end of 1941

Hello All

Several years ago in a file, I found the following in a Note by S.4 Statistics:-

Group A. Diving into the Ground from an appreciable height. [includes] "Unknown"

Group B. Accidents for which the reports contained reference to spinning or loss of control, other than those after engine or airframe failure.

Group C. Accidents in which loss of control was preceded by engine or airframe failure.

After some analysis of cards, they do seem to follow. Wireless (although removable) was considered part of the airframe.

They are very unlikely to be damage categories, as there was a D and E according 1940/41 Air Ministry Orders.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 29th April 2016 at 09:37.

Thanks

One of those where the usage changed with the development of Form 1180

On cards printed from circa 1925 to Dec 1938 the grouping you described was used in the Nature Box.

From Dec 1938 to 31st Dec 1941 the Nature Box was replaced by A:B:C

From 31st Dec 1941 A:B:C box was moved and renamed FIN to better describe the evolving use.

In the early days of accident recording the Nature was considered most important for stats but by early 1939 the expansion of Cause Box to include Command Category had depreciated the simple DIG/LOC/EF or AF check box and there was a move to use A:B:C to record category of injury - witnessed by the addition of handwritten margin notes until the advent of the edge code perforations. This is most easily seen on ground accidents involving pilot error/striking snow bank where cards are marked C with no engine or airframe preceding cause

During 1940 to 1941 this was the evolving use of A:B:C Box

Early Form 1180 (without the edge perforations) have a box on the first page marked A:B:C, upper centre of the card.

The annotation below the box denotes if the accident involved personnel injury.
    A - Fatal
    B - Injuries involving SSQ/Hospital admission
    C - No Casualties
    The annotation in the A:B:C box is usually mirrored with the hand script FATAL or INJURY entry front page, top left margin.
    This denoted a sequential entry into a ledger for statistical recording. Two subdivisions of location were used. (H) being Home and (A) being abroad.
    The category A or B for Fatal/Injury had duplications/amplifications in the K/I box and in the prefix used in the File Ref box. P denoting Personnel Directorate.
    Cards where no fatality or injury is recorded have a score out in the K/I box, no hand script text in the top left margin and use the prefix A (for Air Ministry) in the C of I file reference box.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello Ross

Thanks glad to have your input ...

It does appear as you say that ...

"The annotation below the box denotes if the accident involved personnel injury.
    A - Fatal
    B - Injuries involving SSQ/Hospital admission
    C - No Casualties"

Since, your explanation, I noticed that where the A, B or C have been changed, so have the killed/ injured been changed, supporting your explanation Ross.

If correct and Letter C means no casualties, then 'C' for Whitley N1431 on 11 September 1940 (where 3 were killed on the ground in the Flying Accident with EF / Engine failure) must either be:-

i) an admin error, or
    ii) no deaths involved, as only deaths relating to the air crew count.

Regarding airframe / A.D. (airframe defect), this could, be due to a structural failure of an airframe, or a tyre burst, or even it seems, wet ground causing the aircraft brakes to be ineffective and the aircraft colliding with any type of ground obstruction, such as earth bank etc., or running / veering off on the ground.

Kind regards, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 29th April 2016 at 16:14.

Thanks

A:B:C on F1180 relates to aircraft crew casualty state. Amplification was by annotating the F/I boxes.

In the case of N1431 the card shows two rows in the K and I boxes - the top row of 3 and - is annotated "A" 3rd Party denoting the 3 ground crew fatalities. The bottom row of - and - denotes no flight crew fatality or injury. The A:B:C box is correctly filled in as C.

So no admin error on this card, just very correct recording by the scribe.

If you look at corresponding F765s you will see the A:B:C box on these forms (depending on era) - which is the source for the A:B:C box info when a F1180 was generated for the accident after submission to records of the completed F765.

The F764/F765 generated the corresponding F1179/F1180/F1182/F1183 depending on severity of incident (I suspect there was also an F1181 but so far I have not come across a survivor).

In the case of F1182 it was for recording Engine or Airframe Defect and so the S:A:B:C related to landing result Successfully:Unsuccessfully with Deaths, Unsuccessfully with Injuries, Unsuccessfully - No Casualties.

This gives a snapshot genesis of F1182 cards showing the printed full description of A:B:C for this format from 1933 to Dec 1941
    http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/?q=node/7

For a complete answer F1183 was used to record Forced Landings and had different code meanings to record the result S - Successful, U - Unsuccessful (no casualties), C - Unsuccessful (casualties)
    http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/?q=node/8

This is the F1180 genesis from 1925 to 31st Dec 1941
    http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/?q=node/4

So no hard and fast "one size fits all " decoder for letters on the F1179/F1180/F1182/F1183 forms - it depends on date and type of form.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Found that the Origin of use, A:B:C for Fatal:Injury:No Injury on F1180 cards was instigated much earlier than I thought.

The first issue of F1180 printed in October 1925 and in use until November 1926 had the box will full text description.

See Type 1 card on this summary page
    http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/?q=node/4

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 6th May 2016 at 08:32.