Thread: Quiz - where is this unique location?

Thanks

Default Quiz - where is this unique location?

**If admin feel this is inappropriate, please feel free to remove it**

So I'm in my last week working for my current employer, due to redundancy, and I've been busy taking photos of all the places I've meant to take photos of over the years. I took a couple of photos yesterday with an aviation theme, and thought I'd post them here to see if anyone knows where it is. Although now disused, it was, I believe, the only location on the UK railway network where a level crossing was provided for aircraft, rather than road vehicles. I'm sure at least some of you will know straight away, but I thought it might be a bit of fun to post the photos and see if anyone knew or could take a guess :)

View looking south: -

]

And heading back north: -

"You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

That looks like a Concorde in the background of pic number 1...

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 3rd May 2016 at 18:49.

Thanks

Filton airfield with the Concorde hanger to the side. The whole airfield site soon to be re-developed; part of it, The North Field, already under new housing.

DaveW (About one mile or so from the spot)

Thanks

Simon - well spotted, Concorde was a good clue if you spotted it!!

Dave - yes, bang on :) I notice the north-eastern side, towards Stoke Gifford and alongside the road from SG to the A38 that passes under the Bristol to South Wales railway line at Patchway, has been completely bulldozed now. I believe this was the area where there were a number of WW1 buildings before demolition, and test houses for engines. I've often noticed these strange gondola-like protrusions from one of the big hangars at what is now the Airbus complex - I imagine they were once used as viewing platforms or something similar? I snapped them yesterday too, on my way down to Avonmouth: -

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hi Greg

Sorry to see in your first post above of your redundancy. Hope you find something else soon.

Ian

Thanks

Thanks Ian - something will come up I'm sure. Freight on the railways is a dead duck now, so I'm probably better off out of it and looking for something on the passenger side of things. I've got a medical for Great Western Railway on Thursday, so if I pass that okay, there'll be a job offer to follow. I've had a reasonable pay-off, enough to keep me going for a few months anyway, so I'm in no rush, and I've got a stack of research here to keep me going!!

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Greg

The area that you say has been bulldozed was the old Bristol engine factory and lately the Rolls Royce East Works. The site alongside the A38 flyover, just south of the overpass was the canteen building. Rolls Royce has moved to a new complex on the other side of the road. Presently the concrete floors of the old buildings are being torn up and the material crushed ready for redevelopment. The Royal Mail currently occupies the space that was formerly the engine test beds and WW 1 hangars. The existing flight sheds on the other side of the field, behind the control tower, appear to be in the process of refurbishment for the long proposed aero museum (Bristol Aero Collection) late of Kemble.

I too have wondered about the gondolas on the Concorde hanger. Will try to find outfrom the local spies.

Too bad about the redundancy, hope things work out well for you.

regards

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 4th May 2016 at 09:49. Reason: typo

Thanks

Afternoon Dave,

Thanks for the detailed reply - I happily concede to your far greater local knowledge!! I do remember, probably nigh on twenty years ago, seeing the exhaust outlets from those buildings and surmising they were engine test houses. Do you know if there were any RFC structures there too, or were they all based on a separate part of the earlier airfield, now occupied by the Royal Mail as per your post?

I saw the refurbishment taking place to the flight sheds behind the control tower a couple of weeks ago when I was driving past on the road. I've heard that the Bristol Aero Collection was going to move there, but haven't heard anything concrete. Do you know of this is definitely going to happen? I remember the last day Filton operated as an airfield - I was on what we called the "afternoon shunt turn" at our yard at Stoke Gifford. Instead of remarshalling coal trains and wagons, I spent an enjoyable hour or so sat in my campervan with the side door open, watching the activity overhead, such as it was :-)

Thanks again Dave, all the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Greg,

The Belfast hangers alongside the A38 were built for the South West Aircraft Acceptance Park, in about 1915. The RFC probably occupied the area behind the control tower (where the new museum will go), which was later the incumbent RAF Squadron's area. This is still known locally as 'The 501 Site'. The later engine works were strung along the Stoke Gifford road (Gypsy Patch Lane) and the aero works proper meandered away up the A38 hill towards Filton village. There was another area, known as the 'Shadow Factory' next to the A38, immediately south of the railway line that crosses the site (as in your photograph). Latterly part of that complex housed the flight simulators (including the Concorde simulator); now all gone. You mentioned engine test beds, in later years they were on the Rolls Royce site, if memory serves, near to the railway line Parkway to S.Wales, but I have an old photograph of a test rig for engines set up on the airfield side of the Belfast hangers. The small open fronted building housing it can be seen on old photographs.
    The museum site will also house the Concorde which for the last 12 years has languished on the other side of the airfield. I wonder whether it will be structurally capable of being moved when (if) the time comes.

DaveW