Thread: Wapiti, 11 Sqn, Flying accident

Thanks

Default Wapiti, 11 Sqn, Flying accident

Hello Everyone!!

This is Altaf Khan from Chitral KPK (NWFP) Pakistan and today i visited Military cantonment and found old graves of solders.
    My eyes get filled with tears when i saw graves of " Sgt Owen Cambridge Clarke and LAC Frank Spencer Valentine" both died at flying accident.
    I just felt too much sorrow and grief for both of them whose are resting here far away from their homeland and don't know their relatives will be aware of it or they ever think to visit their graves etc.

This let me to dig about them and finally i found this forum to share my grief n sorrow :(

Thanks.

Thanks

Welcome Altaf. you will also find the Image Galleries of your interest. There are many photos of the NWFP in there, and I intend to keep adding more images in that section.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...atalities-1930 gives the date of death and reason

CLARKE, Owen Cambridge, Sergeant (330150) - Killed 15 September 1930 in a Wapiti of No.11 (Bomber) Squadron, Risalpur, “several miles south of the Lawarai Pass in the Dir Valley, Northwestern Frontier Provinces. Pilot.

VALENTINE, Frank Spencer, LAC (365072)- Killed 15 September 1930 in a Wapiti of No.11 (Bomber) Squadron, Risalpur, “several miles south of the Lawarai Pass in the Dir Valley, Northwestern Frontier Provinces.
    The ORB of 11 Squadron gives a different date as 26.9.1930

"Killed in flying accident in LOWARAI Pass whilst operating with Column."
    The column in question is the Chitral Relief Column.

I cannot pin down the identity of the aircraft correctly.

Are there any photographs of the location you want to share?

Thanks

Contemporary newspaper reports confirm date as 15th Sept 1930

Tuesday 16 September 1930 , Lancashire Evening Post , Lancashire, England

AIRMEN KILLED Accident on North-West Frontier
    THE Air Ministry to-day announced that as the result an
    accident which occurred to a Wapiti machine of No. 11 Bomber Squadron. Risalpur,
    on September 15th, several miles south the Lawarai Pass, in the Dir Valley, N.W. Frontier Provinces,
    No. 330150 Sergt. Owen Cambridge Clarke, the pilot, and No. 365072 Loading Aircraftsman
    Frank Spencer Valentine, the occupant the aircraft, were killed.
    This the thirtieth R.A.F. accident this year and 46th Death.