Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Sergeant Nathaniel Leonard Humphries 1867896 RAFVR 7 Sqn

Thanks

Default Flight Sergeant Nathaniel Leonard Humphries 1867896 RAFVR 7 Sqn

I am researching NL Humphries, who as a rear gunner was reputedly the survivor of 50+missions for 7 Sqn.

In particular I would be grateful for any information on his DFM Citation, gazetted on 13/4/45, Page 1964. I understand Ian Tavender's book is the Authority on this topic but I do not have access to this.

Regards,
    Chris Maycock

Thanks

Hello,

Recommendation for Distinguished Flying Medal.

HUMPHRIES, Nathaniel Leonard. 1867896 Flight Sergeant, No.7 Sqn.
    L.G. 13/4/1945. Sorties 47, Flying hours 221.19. Air Gunner. Air2/9060.

This N.C.O. is nearing completion of a double Pathfinder Force tour having so far completed 47 sorties, all of them but one on this squadron and 36 as a member of a marker crew who have on occasions acted in the capacity of Master Bomber. The success with which the crew of which he is a member has always operated can be traced in part to the exceptional skill as an Air Gunner invariably shown by this N.C.O. Flight Sergeant Humphries has always displayed the utmost devotion to duty and his coolness, courage and high principles to duty have set a fine example to all who come into contact with him.

22nd January, 1945.

DFM Register Vol.1. A-J./Tavender. p.944.

Col.

Thanks

Default DFM Nathaniel Humphries

Many thanks Col.

His son will be really chuffed with this.

Regards,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

Recommendation for Distinguished Flying Medal.

HUMPHRIES, Nathaniel Leonard. 1867896 Flight Sergeant, No.7 Sqn.
    L.G. 13/4/1945. Sorties 47, Flying hours 221.19. Air Gunner. Air2/9060.

This N.C.O. is nearing completion of a double Pathfinder Force tour having so far completed 47 sorties, all of them but one on this squadron and 36 as a member of a marker crew who have on occasions acted in the capacity of Master Bomber. The success with which the crew of which he is a member has always operated can be traced in part to the exceptional skill as an Air Gunner invariably shown by this N.C.O. Flight Sergeant Humphries has always displayed the utmost devotion to duty and his coolness, courage and high principles to duty have set a fine example to all who come into contact with him.

22nd January, 1945.

DFM Register Vol.1. A-J./Tavender. p.944.

Col.

Thanks

Chris, Hi,
    Is that the same Nathaniel L Humphries born Q4 1926 (Reg Lambeth 1d 538)? His Enlistment number (1867896) is very near the end of the Block 1860001-1869800 (Cardington Oct 42-May 43). If he was 18 when he Enlisted then he should have been born in 1925? Is this a slight case of “porky pies” to the Recruiting Officer??
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Youngest awarded DFM: NL Humphries, Donald H Cochrane 1395422 DFM 19/09/44, and.. ??

Hallo Peter,

Hmm. dob 11/10/1926, so he fibbed and FMP shows there weren't too many NLH's around! This may support his son's belief that NLH was one of the youngest to be awarded a DFM.
    I'm not sure how to confirm that, other than to offer up here the suggestion that the nearest known "competitor" is Donald H Cochrane 1395422 DFM gazetted 19/09/44 Page 4331. FMP has birth registered Q3 1926.

Chris Maycock

Thanks

A very interesting Thread.

Several years ago, a Fijian special forces soldier was denied a posthumous VC after a campaign and one of his mates said something like: 'it really does not matter, as those who knew him, knew what he did and what he deserved' - I suggest something similar obtains in this case and attempts to identify, with appropriate proof, the youngest DFM recipient will inevitably involve lots of what might be called 'posturing', claim and counter claim. For example, would it be the youngest when the medal was cited, awarded, when the qualifying acts started or finished, was it an immediate award or for a sustained period.

Let it be sufficient that both these men were honoured for their courage (when many others deserving of recognition were not). Nobody who went through what these people did need to justify themselves - for me they have my gratitude and respect and I would hope that they enjoyed subsequently a peaceful and fulfilled life.

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 12th May 2016 at 06:19. Reason: not in front of the children, Colin

Thanks

Chris,

A snapshot of Sgt N. L. Humphries, as of 24 March, 1944:

24/25-3-1944
    No.7 Sqn
    Lancaster III JA911:MG-U
    Op: Berlin

Crew:

40431 S/L (Pilot) Arthur Henry Charles ROBERTS RAFO (later DSO, DFC)
    151607 F/O ( - ? - ) Dennis Edward MILLER RAFVR (later DFC*)
    132028 F/O ( - ? - ) Anthony John McCALL RAFVR (later DFC)
    -- ? -- W/O ( - ? - ) N L ROBERTSON
    183858 Sgt ( - ? - ) Thomas Reginald GADSDEN RAFVR (later DFC)
    1867896 Sgt (MUG) Nathaniel Leonard HUMPHRIES RAFVR (later DFM)
    169046 F/O (RG) George Arthur Albert HOWE RAFVR (later DFC*)

The Bomber Battle For Berlin/Searby. p.192.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 14th May 2016 at 02:46.

Thanks

Apologies to Bruce and others for my 'intemperate' phrasing of the post above.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I take the comments in the spirit intended. I also do not want to get into a pointless contest over dates of this or that event. The intent is to provide a back story to a man that shared nothing of what he did with his family.

That said "Youngest" adds cachet and commercial value to the award, which may be a consideration for a family. Honour can also be served in this way.

Simple question - are DFM recipient dobs listed any where or would it require original research?

Regards,
    Chris Maycock
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 16th May 2016 at 14:33.

Thanks

Chris, Hi,
    If you've got the Surname, and all of the Forenames, then it is usually fairly easy (but very tedious/time-consuming!) to find the DoBs for England/Wales and Scotland from the usual BMD sites. N Ireland can be a bit more difficult, as with the other smaller places (IoM, Channel Is, etc). Outside of that you are at the mercy of whatever BMDs were recorded in the territory of their birth (for those who lied to the Recruiting Officer about their ages/origins).
    Good luck!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!