Thread: Patrick Leonard Capon

Thanks

Default Patrick Leonard Capon

Hi,
    The relative of this Air Gunner is looking for his father's DFM citation. So far without luck.
    Could anyone with Tavender in his posession have a look please?

It is possible that the DFM was awarded in connection with this crash
    https://www.awm.gov.au/images/collec...25_023--1-.pdf

Many thanks in advance
    Jelle

Thanks

Tavender shows F/Sgt Robert Samuel James CAPON 1392029 207 Sqn RAF as the only person with that surname. He is a W/Op and the LG date is 15 Aug 44. I have checked Maton and can find a DFC award as well but no reference to P L CAPON.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin and Jelle

The National Archives Air 78/28 has a Patrick Leonard CAPON, Service No. 1225277, if it's any help.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello, and welcome.

Jelle, If you object to following personal details, they will be deleted!

Patrick Leonard CAPON, emigrated to Australia post-war. He embarked Glasgow, on the T.S.S. 'CAMERONIA', and disembarked Fremantle, Western Australia on 1 November, 1952. His destination was R.A.A.F. Laverton, Victoria. He enlisted in the R.A.A.F., and was allocated service number A39185. The 'CAMERONIA' also carried quite a few other prospective RAAF members.

Patrick CAPON passed away, aged 66, in New South Wales in January 1974.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th May 2016 at 01:21.

Thanks

Many thanks for your help
    If Tavender nor Maton gives a result I fear no DFM was awarded then.
    And when entering the service number in the LG as given by Simon, no result turns up either....
    And thansk to Col Bruggy for the interesting details - please don't delete them :)

Thanks

Just one thought.

Whilst it seems the DFM was probably not awarded, that does not mean that a recommendation was not submitted.

May I ask what evidence is available which might support this? For example, is there anything which suggests that one was made? Does the man's Record of Service or flying logbooks offer any clues? Did the rest/some of the crew have awards which might lead someone to believe that there was perhaps a joint recommendation, which was only part approved?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you Colin. Certainly good questions you raised.
    I cannot find any trace in the LG that any of the crew members was awarded at all.
    There is another forum where some people looked into this on the request of another familiy member who als claimed Capon was awarded the DFM
    http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372
    As you can all see without result

So I hope that the one who has approached me has his father's service record.

Thanks

I've looked at the link above and there are unlikely to be any circumstances in which an act of bravery in this instance would have led to the award of a DFM. It was an HCU training sortie and was 'not in the face of the enemy'. Given the way crews were composed of newbies and veterans, it might be that Capon had seen service elsewhere. Any award for bravery would more probably have been at best a BEM for gallantry (a GM at the outside) but could have been a Kings Commendation for Brave Conduct or one of the life saving medals from the RHS. A look through the HCU Form 540 might be a good move. An endorsement (possibly written in green ink) might be found in Capon's logbook.

Colin Cummings