Thread: BC Operational Training Unit Syllabus

Thanks

Default BC Operational Training Unit Syllabus

Hello,
    Is there anybody in possession of a Syllabus for crews under training in a standard OTU for Bomber Command Wellington squadrons ?
    I have been researching the history of 18 (Polish) OTU at Bramcote/Finningley and such a Syllabus would be for me a great source of information on the standard training for Wellington crews of a typical night bomber BC squadron.

Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.
    Regards,
    Greg

PS: The same concerns the part of RAF Finningley Station ORB for the period: February 1943 - December 1944.
    I would be happy if someone would be so kind to share me with a copy of it.

Thanks

Greg

I can offer the following as a start point for you:

Weeks 1 and 2 - Ground Instruction / Crewing Up / Familiarisation (Circuits and Landings)
    Weeks 3 to 6 - Ground Instruction and Basic Air Training (Bombing, Air Firing, Cine Gun, Night Fighter Affiliation) [DAY / NIGHT]
    Weeks 7 onwards - Ground Instruction and Applied Air Training (Cross Country (Dual), Cross Country (Solo) [DAY / NIGHT]

I know the courses varied and that some crews undertook operational sorties towards the end of the course; I will look through my archives to see what else I have on this subject

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 11th May 2016 at 11:18.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thank you Pete.
    This is really of interest to me.
    If you come across anything that could give me a clue of how this training looked like, it would be appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Grexx; 12th May 2016 at 06:26. Reason: typos

Thanks

Greg

This is from a 1944 publication:

The flying course starts with conversion to the Wellington aircraft, gradually progresses through various stages and ends up with a leaflet raid in a Wellington.
    The syllabus includes the following:

• Synthetic training:
    - Link trainer
    - AM Bombing Teacher
    - clay pigeon shooting
    - turret training

• Gunnery:
    - combat manoeuvres
    - air-to-sea firing
    - air-to-air firing
    - fighter affiliation

• Bombing:
    - high-level bombing
    - bombing on cross-countries
    - infra-red bombing
    - demonstration of pathfinder techniques and target indicators

• Navigation
    - DR navigation
    - cross-countries
    - radar training

• Operational training
    - night exercises with night fighters, searchlight and anti-aircraft organisation in this country

• Drills:
    - dinghy
    - parachute
    - fire
    - oxygen
    - crash

• Operational Procedures:
    - Darky
    - searchlight homing
    - SOS

It may be useful to get hold of some flying log books which show the OTU exercises / flying hours to see if we can build up a common picture

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]