Thread: Stirling Mk. I roundel sizes?

Thanks

Default Stirling Mk. I roundel sizes?

Hello everyone

Can anyone tell the standard sizes for Stirling upper wing and fuselage roundels? Assuming there is a standard size, of course.

I'm wrestling with the 1/72 Italeri kit as a 7 Sqn example from late 1941, and the roundels don't seeem to be the right sizes - upper wing ones are 75", which look too small, and the fuselage ones are 56", which look too big to me.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

I can tell you that on the 1/72 Airfix Stirling, the actual sizes for the upper wing roundel is 27mm whilst the fuselage roundel is 19.5mm if that helps at all.

Regards,

Russ

Thanks

Hi Simon

The official sizes are shown on my site at http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn%.../sqn_codes.htm

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Probably reading it wrong but the largest roundels on Malcolms excellent website seem to be 48 inches, which were the size of Stirling fuselage roundels of the "so called" C1 type, to which was added the yellow surround.

Several sources, most noteably the very detailed drawing in MJF Bowyers book on the Stirling show the wing roundel s to be 84 inches in diameter. The inner red diameter is shown as 33 and a half inches, but other sources show a straight 33 inches.
    regards
    Peter

Thanks

Thanks for the replies Gents. The Airfix kit's roundels are the same as the Italeri kit, but as I say, they don't seem right to me.

I do actually have the MJF Bowyer book, so thanks for reminding me of the drawing Peter - I'd completely forgotten about it! It does seem from various photos that the smaller 75" roundels were also used on the upper wings of some Stirlings, which would match the Airfix and Italeri decals, but I'll go with the 84" ones I think.

There is a video on Youtube of 7 Sqn Stirlings showing the fuselage roundels and codes here. I reckon the codes would be 48 inch, and the fuselage roundels are around the same size as the codes, so that fits with the drawing. At that time they were the A.1 roundels, rather than the C.1 in Bowyer's book.

I know they later changed to a much smaller 'MG' before the roundel, and a much larger individual letter after the roundel, but from the photos I've seen this was in 1942.

Regards

Simon