Thread: Hampden AD-791 crashed in Belgium on 7/12/1941

Thanks

Default Hampden AD-791 crashed in Belgium on 7/12/1941

Hi ,

Is there someone who can help me finding the place or cemetery where these airman were initially buried before they were laid to rest at Heverlee War Cemetery Belgium.

7/12/1941
    Oteppe-Marneffe Belgium
    Hampden I
    Aachen
    AD-791
    144Sqn
    Sgt Calcutt Frank Kert (KIA) pilot 778424
    Sgt Lawrence Arthur Henry RCAF (KIA) obs R/69780
    Sgt Hirons Richard Eric (KIA) wop 964851
    Sgt Barnes Geoffrey (KIA) wop 981748
    Heverlee War Cemetery Belgium

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Minor point - but it might affect searchers. CWGC and RAFWEB have the DoDs as 8 Dec 1941.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Alain,
    Have you looked at the concentration report on the individuals CWGC listings. Often show the initial and subsequent burial sites.

Paul

Thanks

Hi Alain

Bomber Command had just over 250 aircraft on operations 7/8 Dec 41, which included 44 Hampdens. 144 Squadrons contribution was small sending only 5 Hampdens. They were trialling a new 2000 lb High Capacity Bomb, modified with an orthodox tail to fit the Hampden bomb bay. The bomb entered service in January 42. Taking off between 02.00 and 02.15 hrs on the 8 Dec. Their course from North Luffenham took them to the English coast at Hawrich then a dog leg to North Foreland in the Thames Estuary crossing Kent and the French coast between Dunkirk and Calais. In a clear sky they were able to map read a course down to Leige. Approaching Leige, Hampden AE392 witnessed a mid air explosion considered to be AD791. At Leige conditions dramatically worsened when they entered a heavy snow storm which covered an area which included Aachen. My father flying AE395 recorded being over Aachen at 04.08hrs and back at North Luffenham at 07.00hrs, but no mention of seeing a mid air explosion.

The crew of AD791 may have been initially buried at a Leige cemetery. Hope this background helps.

John
    Last edited by WOODHEAD; 13th May 2016 at 10:41.

Thanks

Alain

The concentration reports show St Trond (Brusthem) Cemetery [Collective Grave]

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Dear Gents ,

Thank you all for your great help.
    Pete , would it be possible do get a copy of the concentration reports who mentioned St-Trond ( Brusthem ) as burial place ?

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Alain

If you log onto the CWGC site and select the name of one of the crew members you will get an indexed list of all those with that name. If you click on the relevant name it will take you to a detailed screen which shows all the documents that are available for that person, including, in many cases (but not all) the concentration report.

Try this link for HIRONS: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...RICHARD%20ERIC and then click on the "Concentration" tab

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete ,

Thanks for the wonderful tip.

Alain12

Thanks

Dear All
    My great uncle was the pilot of AE191 of 83 Sq that was shot down on this raid while returning over Walcheren and ditched in the North Sea. I have some aiming point photos from this raid if anyone is interested. If anyone has any other documents that may be of interest please contact me, particularly route charts and weather maps.
    Best wishes
    James