Thread: Vampire T11 of Met Res Flight Farnborough to Tromso Jul 1955 - Serial No?

Thanks

Default Vampire T11 of Met Res Flight Farnborough to Tromso Jul 1955 - Serial No?

Hello All (If Mods think this is outside the normal remit then delete, and apologies).

A Vampire T11 of the Met Research Flight (Farnborough) was flown to Tromso sometime in Jul 1955 for the advertised purposes of taking “ozone measurements”. There had been a significant number of atomic test explosions in Navada in the late Spring of 1955. A colleague on another Forum is asking for any known airframe markings/signage, and the serial number, of this a/c.

TIA

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

May have been an IAM Farnborough Vampire T11 that had been "borrowed" by MRF!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

I think you are correct in believing it was 'borrowed' as there is no evidence for a Vampire being on the MRF's strength.

The passenger was Brewer and the flight was made to record the concentration of ozone over north Norway - I suspect it was a single sortie. Unfortunately I'm unable to access the paper (glitch in the catalogue) but I should be able to read in in the next couple of days. Strange they should opt for a Vampire as Canberra WJ582 was on the MRF strength at the time.

Brian

Thanks

And the ozone at 43,000 ft (the T11's quoted service ceiling) is not as much as it might be a bit higher up. I suspect we are into one of the very first AROMAs - but didn't want to make it very obvious to all and sundry?
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

I don't have a serial number, but the Vampire was provided by the Royal Norwegian Air Force, which was also responsible for installing the met equipment at Trondheim during May 1955. Other than this the operational base for the project was Bardufoss. Ascents to between 40000 and 42000 ft were made on 27 and 28 June 1955, and 3 and 11 July.

The project was undertaken at the invitation of Nordlys Observatory at Tromso.

Source: Ozone-concentration measurements from an aircraft in North Norway by A W Brewer (Quarterly Journal of Royal Met Society, 1957 pp 266-268)

May be of additional interest

1. http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0105-06.htm
    2. http://weburbanist.com/2009/11/08/bl...survival-town/

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 17th May 2016 at 15:00. Reason: Publication date corrected

Thanks

VMT that, Brian. Seems to have solved the aviation problem, but just why those measurements were suddenly required at that time/place is still causing my olfactory sensors to twitch slightly. And Brewer's subsequent paper appears to have appeared in the QJ somewhat rapidly?
    Peter Davies

Thanks

My error, Peter. The article I quoted was published in the QJ during 1957 (I've corrected my original post), but an earlier Met Research Committee Paper did appear late in 1955.

Put your nose away, Peter. The project was part of an international program into the distribution of ozone

The work was part of a general programme to determine the world-wide distribution of ozone and represents an extension of the work of Kay in southern England. There is special interest in N Norway because of its high geographical latitude, and the Nordlys Observatory has made a long series of measurements of total ozone, and of Umkehr curves from which some indication about the vertical distribution of ozone may be obtained.

The subject was one of Brewer's specialities.

Brian

Thanks

Brian, Tks,
    Thought I'd found another Advanced Conspiracy Theory occurrence for my lectures!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th May 2016 at 16:53.

Thanks

Just to wrap this one up, a colleague on another forum has narrowed it down to one of three T.55s (not T.11 note) which could have undertaken the ozone flights were Norwegian serials ZK-X, ZK-Y and ZK-Z. These (and three others also returned from RNoAF to RAF early in 1955) were serialled XJ771 to XJ776.
    HTH
    Peter Davies