Thread: DFC and AFC Citations

Thanks

Default DFC and AFC Citations

Dear all,
    i am trying to find the citation and recommendations for my father's DFC (awarded 1944) and his AFC (awarded 1952?)
    DFC to Flt Lt Graham Arthur John Wood 576 Sqn pilot
    AFC awarded at RAF Fayid in the 50s
    i have the dates the awards were Gazetted if that would be of use!
    Thank you so much in advance

Thanks

Your father's DFC seems to have been a 'non immediate' award and this might have been at the end of a tour of duty. I have checked the Carters' book and can find no citation/recommendation.

At the RAF Museum Hendon, there is a microfilmed record called the Air Ministry Bulletin and it is possible that this might contain a citation. As to his AFC, if this was for a specific act, it might have been published in the London Gazette with a citation but if for the New Years Honours List or Queens Birthday, this is unlikely.

Do you have your father's personal number as you could search the London Gazette with this.

I have a short summary of the fatal accident in which he was involved but you probably know all about that already.

Someone will give you valuable tips on searching records at the National Archives but if you live in the UAE, you might want to engage a researcher to do this for you.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

WOOD, Graham Arthur John, F/O (150096, RAFVR*) - No.576 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 19 September 1944. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 15641.

Since commencing his operational career, Flying Officer Wood has completed numerous sorties, often in the face of intense enemy opposition. In March 1944, while on a mission to Frankfurt, his aircraft encountered an enemy night fighter. One engine was damaged but though it was unserviceable, Flying Officer Wood continued to the target, which was successfully bombed. Throughout all his missions, this officer has continued to display coolness and gallantry under fire.

Thanks

Hugh, et al,

A tad more for your files:

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/...ire/kn649.html

Col.

Thanks

Many thanks Colin!

Yes I have full detals of dad's fatal accident. I will check with the RAF Museum for the AM Bulletins as I am writing the history of 576 Sqn and would like to see all the citations awarded to 576 crews.

Many thanks and warm regards
    Matt Wood

Thanks

Thank you so much for this Hugh! I have sent you a private message.

Best regards
    Matt Wood