Thread: Book: Allen Wheeler "Flying Between the Wars" has anyone got a copy?

Thanks

Default Book: Allen Wheeler "Flying Between the Wars" has anyone got a copy?

It is just that I found out today that Flight-Lieut. Allen Henry Wheeler #05109 had a crash while with 111 Sqn on Monday 18th July 1927 at Dunmow Essex, when "

Flight-Lieut. Wheeler had on previous occasions entertained Dunmow people with feats, and on Monday crowds gathered to watch him. He looped the loop performed the corkscrew. Suddenly the machine was seen to dive straight towards the earth, and a terrific crash was heard in Dunmow streets mile away. The engine had suddenly failed, and the lieutenant, as alert as he was daring, realised once that his only chance was to break his fall Hoglands Wood, so he steered straight into it. He hit the pine trees with such force that two were broken off at the Stems, which were thick as man's thigh, and the aeroplane came to stand still against larger tree. The machine was smashed, the wings being torn off, but the cockpit in which the airman was seated escaped damage miracle. Flight-Lt. Wheeler's only injury was a cut over the eye from a branch. He crawled out from his seat, and doctor bandaged the wound"

I assume he was flying a Siskin

I wondered if he mentions it or identifies the aircraft involved?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello,

Wheeler was flying Siskin IIIA J8052 (Flying Between the Wars/Wheeler pp.152-4).

Col.

Thanks

Col

Thanks for looking this up in your extensive Library

I only hope you did not have to move or use the ladder to get access to the book

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks

Thanks guys,

This is of interest to me, too, as Wheeler was also on 41 Sqn. He was born Ludlow, Shrops, 27 Sep 03, and educated at Eton & Cambridge (BA Eng).

I was not aware of this accident, so it is new info to me, too.

Wheeler joined 111 Sqn at Duxford on 18 Oct 26, and whether related or not, was posted away from the Sqn twelve days after the accident for an engineering course at the Home Aircraft Depot at Henlow. He then fulfilled engineering and PA roles in the UK and Middle East, and did not return to flying duties until joining 41 Sqn as a Flight Commander on 30 Sep 33. Let me know if you need additional details, Paul.

Thanks, too, for the heads-up on the book, which I was also not aware of. I did know that after he retired from the RAF as an Air Cdre CBE, he was employed as an aviation consultant to the film industry and assisted with "The Blue Max" and "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines", but did not know about the book.

Col, does Wheeler include much in his book about his time with 41 Sqn (Sep 33-Aug 36)?

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

Unfortunately, Wheeler's saga ends with his posting to Iraq in November, 1929.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th May 2016 at 10:14.

Thanks

Thanks Col, that just saved me spending money on a book that would have been of little help to my research.
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm