Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane forced landing on Waldringfield Heath, 26-4 1940.

Thanks

Default Hurricane forced landing on Waldringfield Heath, 26-4 1940.

Hello,

I am looking for any information on a Hurricane which apparently was force-landed after engine trouble east of Martlesham Heath airfield on Waldringfield Heath (Suffolk) on 26 April 1940.
    These are the only details available in the 'EAGLES OVER EUROPE' project files. I have checked various squadron ORBs to no avail. It seems there is no Form 1180 Aircraft Accident Card for it.
    Could anyone with access to a copy of the Martlesham Heath ORB please check it for any mention of the above ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

I've passed your inquiry to the Martlesham Heath Aviation Society just in case one of their gen men (sorry, 'persons') has the ORB or any pertinent info.The only other scrap of info I have is that the pilot was slightly injured.
    Regs,
    BC

Thanks

Bob,

Thank you very much for the extra detail and for passing on my query. At least that helps confirm there was such an incident.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

I have just heard from Alan Smith the archivist for the Martlesham Heath Aviation Society. There is sadly, no mention of the Hurricane crash in the Station ORB. Inquiries are continuing however, so don't give up hope!

Bob C

Thanks

Bob,

Many thanks to you and Alan for your help so far. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin

Out of interest what was the source of the incident

I had thought of looking at all AAEE aircraft at the time (there is a 1939 list in The Royal Air Force - Volume 2: An Encyclopedia of the Inter-War Years 1930- 1939: by Ian Philpott (but the unit moved to Boscombe Down in 1939)

What Sqns were at Martlesham Heath in the timeframe?

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,

It was just a short note I received which was contained in 'EAGLES OVER EUROPE' raw material for the Phoney War period. I have been trying without any success until this thread to verify it and expand on the known details.

I looked at the ORBs for four squadrons based at Martlesham Heath at or near this time. They were 17, 151, 504 (all Hurricanes) and 266 (Spitfires) Squadrons. No hint of such an incident in any of them, but many accidents were not recorded in ORBs. No F.1180 for it either. Indeed many accidents are only known about because they have a Form 1180 Aircraft Accident Report.

I was tempted to dismiss it originally except for the precise location.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin,

Gordon Kinsey in his Martlesham Heath book, refers to the Hurricane incident:

" On 26th April (1940), another Hurricane landed on the Waldringfield Heath after suffering engine trouble and once again the pilot escaped serious injury..."

Martlesham Heath:The Story of the Royal Air Force Station 1917-1979
    Kinsey,Gordon.
    Lavenham:Terence Dalton,1979(2nd.imp.).
    p.66

So, there is a written reference to the event. Kinsey has a long list of acknowledgements (pp.8-10), but nothing specific to the Waldringfield incident.

Col.

Thanks

Col

Out of interest does Kinsey refer to any known 17, 151, 504 Pilot/Book in his acknowledgements ?

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

There are no specific entries in the acknowlegements alluding to the Waldingfield incident, the only other incident mentioned by Kinsey (the others are BoB related, or later), is the following (p.66): "No.56 (F) suffered one of its first casualties early in the New Year, when Pilot Officer F. C. Cooney* flew into a house at nearby Playford, in his Hawker Hurricane I L.1984. The house was repaired, and to this day the new work can be seen on the house end, and although injured in the crash, the pilot recovered from this experince."

* Possibly, No.56 Sqn's 564567 F/Sgt Cecil John COONEY RAF, on 29-1-1940. Cooney was killed in action on 29-7-1940, still with No.56 Sqn - He was an "Old Haltonian" - www.oldhaltonians.co.uk - 22nd Entry - click on Tribute.

The book, whist adequately indexed, lacks a bibliography; the author relying mainly on personal observations from persons mentioned in the acknowledgements, and possibly, the Martlesham ORB.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st June 2016 at 15:57.